White southern sheriffs... not just a movie stereotype

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

White southern sheriffs... not just a movie stereotype
Mar 13, 2009, 03:12
This story really infuriated me..
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-texas-profiling11-2009mar11,0,507135.story

Fuck Texas. What a hellhole.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2009, 11:42
Re: White southern sheriffs... not just a movie stereotype
Mar 13, 2009, 08:25
Indeed. Sheer daylight robbery, made worse by the fact that it's legally sanctioned. Can only hope the bill to make police present their case to a judge before seizing money and goods from innocent (and mostly African-American, if that article is to be believed) goes through. It seems as though even the 50s never really happened in Tenaha, let alone the 60s.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Mar 13, 2009, 11:00
There's no reason to doubt that article. Obama's election win has sparked 'payback' hostility in some elements of society. The Reagan-era drug/drug money forfeiture laws were created as a punishing tool mostly aimed at minorities. It's no coincidence that, for decades, sentencing for cocaine possession was incredibly more harsh for crack than for powdered coke. Inner city drug users smoked the former, future presidents of the USA snorted the latter.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Mar 14, 2009, 01:04
"Fuck Texas. What a hellhole."
Apart from Austin apparently, an oasis.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Mar 14, 2009, 14:07
laresident wrote:

You have to get thru an awful lot of the rest of it to get to Austin.

I know I'm being a bit regionally stereotypical here, but Texas just seems to sprout the worst that America has to offer... Enron, George W. Bush, this jaw-dropping story...
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Mar 14, 2009, 15:15
handofdave wrote:
laresident wrote:

You have to get thru an awful lot of the rest of it to get to Austin.

I know I'm being a bit regionally stereotypical here, but Texas just seems to sprout the worst that America has to offer... Enron, George W. Bush, this jaw-dropping story...

I've been to Austin and I liked it a lot - but Houston didn't have enough going for it to make any of us want to stay for more than one night. There still seemed to be quite a preponderance of redneck attitudes, particularly amongs the men, and that's in a medium-sized city - so fuck knows what small-town Texas must be like in that respect.

Reading that book about the 13th Floor Elevators, the amount of harassment and intimidation and harassment they received from the police even in Austin would have been on a par with an Eastern Bloc country before the collapse of communism. It seems to have come on a fair way since then mind.
U-Know! Forum Index