Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
A five million dollar fine and a twenty year sentence?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

A five million dollar fine and a twenty year sentence?
Jan 08, 2009, 22:18
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a.2RRAsRLV3g&refer=home

This reminds me, strangely, of the scene in 'Austin Powers' where Dr. Evil, having been in cryosleep for decades, is awoken and demands 'A MILLION DOLLARS!" from the leaders of the world.

What sort of penalty is this for a guy that's ripped people off to the tune of 50 BILLION?
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2009, 06:05
Re: A five million dollar fine and a twenty year sentence?
Jan 10, 2009, 05:51
Don't worry, a criminal penalty probably has to have a maximum tarriff. I think the usual way of dealing with a financial malfeasance is to claim for aggravated damages through the Civil court. However I doubt there is much of the 50 Bil left. I reckon Madoff will commit suicide before there is a trial, just in case there is any insurance policies or pension due to his family after his death. I believe thats standard practice,its happened a number of times, there's the bloke who invented the Chippendales, and Dr Harold Shipman, who timed his demise before he reached a cetain age that his wife qualified for enhanced widow benefits. Personally I think its scandalous that suicide is used so cynically.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jan 10, 2009, 09:28
Bring back the death penalty for cynical suicide.

Actually there comes a point where there's no point attempting to fit a punishment to a crime. If I embezzled £1000 from a bank, I might get a year in the nick. Translate that up to £30 billion and to be equivalent, you'd have to jail me for 30 million years. Seems a bit pointless really, especially since I'd be eligable for parole after 20 million.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Jan 10, 2009, 10:23
I just hope that they use HIS money (however it was accrued) to pay for his keep and not the bloody taxpayers' as that would be the sickest irony of all. I haven't a clue what'll happen to his money, who will be compensated etc.
I'ts usually always counter productive to jail embezzlers, insurance scammers etc if it means more money's being spent on them, and they haven't been violent, but they can't get 'off with it' all the same. Less jail time and perhaps a life on welfare? Only make him pay for his own 'welfare', if ye get me.
x
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 10, 2009, 15:24
Jail them at their own expense, I say.

It's disgusting that the bastard is only under 'house arrest'. How horrible! He has to stay in his Manhattan penthouse. What a punishment.
U-Know! Forum Index