Register
U-Know! Forum »
Pagan Dawn?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
winterjc
30 posts

Pagan Dawn?
May 26, 2002, 12:36
Scotland is now a 'Pagan' country according to research carried out by the Church of Scotland.
Pagan? I don't think so.
What they were no doubt trying to say was that most people dont give a shit anymore - and who's fault is that?
I was at a Church of Scotland school service last year and found it so dull and uninspiring, I nearly threw myself off the polished teak balcony just to stay awake.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_2007000/2007739.stm
caergog
393 posts

Re: Pagan Dawn?
May 26, 2002, 16:26
some times I find statistics misleading I noticed they only asked 1,600 people if these people had been for instance in the western isles i guess the result would be very different!
churches are closing everywhere ( and often becoming pubs) and no doubt the christain religon is declining, but to label a whole country pagan i'm not so sure(also would heathen not be a more appropriate word if they are going to use one i may be wrong but i've always thought of pagan as a kind of faith in itself). Just because people don't show faith by going to church doesn't mean they don't have faith.
I wonder if this is actually scare tactics by the church trying to get people back to the uncomfortable pews where you can't fall asleep during ,normally, very monotanous services!
love carolinexx
winterjc
30 posts

Re: Pagan Dawn?
May 26, 2002, 17:00
Absolutely -
don't these church spokesfolk have to be aware of other religions - these days they seem to talk a lot about reaching out to other faiths.
I'm not a pagan but I do take exception to the misuse of the word when they describe a pagan as someone who has little or no moral/spiritual belief.
brown acid
8 posts

goAT warSHIP
May 26, 2002, 21:54
i'M pROUD to bE CallED gODLEss bY tHE cHURCH oF ScOtLaNd. to tHOsE tYPEs a saiNT loVIng cATHOlic iS pAgAn juST aS mUcH aS wE aRE. thEY'd giVE a MUslim tHE TIMe oF Day and a JEW ALso, buT deGREES oF cHRIsTAINity geTS theIR goaT anD i wORSHIP iT!
U-Know! Forum Index