Tanker Drivers come and join us in the real world

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wychburygirl2
Wychburygirl2
46 posts

Edited Jun 13, 2008, 10:13
Tanker Drivers come and join us in the real world
Jun 13, 2008, 10:11
I've heard this new second hand. If its true, it make my work efforts a sham. I was told that the Guardian had reported that the Shell Tanker Drivers already get 36K a year.

What do the hell do they do on top of driving, to justify a pay like that.

To me any way they don't have to take the responsible decisions I have to make, in my job. And this pay strike is just pure greed. Many families have to rely on two incomes that total the amount they get.

Put your strike placards away and live in the real world.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Tanker Drivers come and join us in the real world
Jun 13, 2008, 10:33
It's just going to get worse and worse of course. As prices rise and keep rising, people will get more and more jittery and pissed off with things.

panic buying, hauliers blockades, protest marches. Empty shelves in supermarkets. Riots and rampages. The whole kaboodle going tits up. What a wonderful future we have to look forward to.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Jun 13, 2008, 16:11
Thing is they moan about 'danger money'.
I felt a bit queasy in the same way when firefighters (we only used that term here post 9/11) demanded 70%.
Even if they got a million pounds a week, or even two, it wouldn't diminish the danger element.
So do we give them a million or even two a week?
Can't ever recall one of those tankers going up in flames, here anyway.
As it is, we don't rake in half they get, but then we only works with vulneralbe, woefully dependant folks with learning difficulties, downs etc, and we all know how worthless that is.
:-(

x
Wychburygirl2
Wychburygirl2
46 posts

Jun 13, 2008, 16:49
Trouble is though if we all slide into that action, still will get us by the short and curlies by getting the troops out to restore law order.

Everyone will be restricted to curfews. And if we ever utter in public that Gordon Brown is shit, we could faced being bluggeoned by a pack of hard nose squaddies.

What freedom we have left will be lost for good.
Wychburygirl2
Wychburygirl2
46 posts

Jun 13, 2008, 16:56
I would say it is more likely that a Doctor and Nurse would be attacked by patients on a Friday/Saturday night (after the pubs have closed), than the contents of Tanker going up or bursting into flames. I haven't heard of a Doctor or Nurse getting 'danger money'. And they have to put themselves out there on a regular basis.
mercian
mercian
302 posts

Jun 13, 2008, 22:52
Lorry drivers were always the first bastards to cross someone else`s picket line. Grunwick, Ravenscraig. I dont forget. U know.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jun 15, 2008, 11:06
Wychburygirl2 wrote:
I've heard this new second hand. If its true, it make my work efforts a sham. I was told that the Guardian had reported that the Shell Tanker Drivers already get 36K a year.

What do the hell do they do on top of driving, to justify a pay like that.

To me any way they don't have to take the responsible decisions I have to make, in my job. And this pay strike is just pure greed. Many families have to rely on two incomes that total the amount they get.

Put your strike placards away and live in the real world.

Sadly, the amount someone earns is not proportional to the amount of work/effort they put in. It's related to their contribution towards the company's profit. Make a contribution to a the massive profit of a company and you get a share of it. Well, you should do.

I heard one comment that Shell make something like 1.5bn a week. If the tanker drivers deliver the fuel that makes just 5% of that profit then between them they help earn the company around 75m a week. I'm sure they deserve a fair chunk of those profits.

Alternatively, Shell could cut their prices a bit and stop being so fucking greedy.
Sir John Dunn
Sir John Dunn
530 posts

Jun 15, 2008, 18:11
Tanker drivers are the new punk rockers, thank God.
Penske666
161 posts

Jun 17, 2008, 11:00
Screw that. Fire the greedy bastards and hand the work out to private firms - that'll teach 'em. £36,000 thats 2.5 times what I get a year - why do they need more money have they got a gabling habit?

Angry Penske
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jun 24, 2008, 12:30
I wonder if the drivers would come out for the admin and cleaning staff to get a fair share?
U-Know! Forum Index