Register
U-Know! Forum »
'Consumption' - doin' the right thing.

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Apr 12, 2008, 12:33
Re: 'Consumption' - doin' the right thing.
Apr 12, 2008, 12:09
A very interesting and pertinent thread. I think, as Gangstaduck intimates, that one of the problems here are the words 'consumer' or 'consumerism' themselves. The fact that the act of, what is in a very real way, an act that is required in order simply to live i.e consume, has been made into an 'ism' is problematic and always sounds faintly damning. When I think of the phrase 'consume' it almost instantly sounds greedy, bloated and excessive. Similarly, when I think of 'consumerism' my thoughts conjur up images of people queuing at midnight for the new Ipod or somesuch, or of images of perma-orange 'celebs' tottering out of department stores with bags of designer shoes and clothes. And yet it is just as applicable to people queuing for bread or other groceries.
We are constantly fed - pardon the phrase - images of consumerism and consuming that are perhaps on one hand supposed to be attractive and desirable, images that imply wealth, success, stability and choice. And yet, it is perhaps our conscience that leads us to see these images as excessive and, perhaps in regards to many of our personal situations, elitist and even socially and morally debilitating, especially in the current economic climate.

We all consume and are consumers and partake in consumerism at one level or another. And some of the choices as to how we partake in these processes are perhaps not as readily available to some as to others. Personal circumstance, economics, even geography all have a part to play for most of us. But, as Gangstaduck indicates, we can at least think about it and make the choices where we can and that's important.

U-Know! Forum Index