Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
'Consumption' - doin' the right thing.

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: 'Consumption' - doin' the right thing.
Mar 01, 2008, 00:31
This is like replying to myself really, you should see the knots I tie myself in doing the shopping. Firstly you should give yourself a pat on the back though, because you actually give a fuck, and that is surely a huge sight better than so many people. You can't be too hard on yourself, because you can't solve the world's problems on your own. You can only do your own bit and mercifully it seems other people are starting to catch on, even the supermarkets (I hear Sainsbury's will only be doing own brand tea and coffee that's fair trade soon, and who would have thought that say 5 years ago).
I tell you one thing that's helped my weekly dose of consumer angst, and that is shopping inthe co-op. They seem to care about these issues more than the other supermarkets, including animal welfare, fair trade etc. and I think their labelling might not be so bad. Plus it's a cooperative. You can but try and buy british fruit/veg and so on. Anyway wherever you end up shopping you can only do your best (within reason).

Did you see all that stuff in the papers about free range chickens selling out after the programmes about free range / battery hens? Proof that consumer power does work and the supermarkets do sit up and take notice (as it involves £, I admit), so that's encouragement that everyone's little efforts add up is it not.

U-Know! Forum Index