Recession Talk

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wychburygirl2
Wychburygirl2
46 posts

Recession Talk
Jan 22, 2008, 15:41
Since the beginning of Jan, the media to me anyway, seem to have got it fixed that we going to have a recession. I just get the feeling they want to talk us into a recession, and on the big scale of things, this fluctuation with the world finance is just a blip in the normal workings.

January is being made worse by these doom and gloom merchants. Every news bulletin I have viewed into, and papers I've picked up, constantly drone on about where we are gonna have to tighten our reigns on money. And money isn't gonna stretch that far. I clearly get the impression that financiers want to it come. Not that it is inevitable.

Does anyone else feel like this?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Re: Recession Talk
Jan 22, 2008, 15:58
I can't afford to make a comment.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 22, 2008, 15:58
I get the impression that there's some sort pleasure in being vindicated for financial commentators. It's not a science, but they'd like to show how smart they all are.

The worst thing about this is the old "America sneezes, the world catches cold" keeps getting wheeled out. It seems that globalisation has reached such a level that you no longer have to outsource the slave labour to other countries you can now do it with your recessions.

C'mon China. If there's a time to start selling those dollars, this is it...
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jan 22, 2008, 16:14
Nope. I believe that Grufty Jim or someone else equally well informed would tell you that if you were to look at a graph of growth/standard of living/ prosperity/etc and a graph of the consumption of oil, you'd see a pretty good match.

Capitalism requires growth. Without growth there is no profit. Without profit there is no investment.

Without energy there is no growth. The recession is further proof that peak oil is imminent.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jan 22, 2008, 16:34
Capitalism is a load of crap. It's like if everyone BELIEVES that booms and busts wont' happen, then they won't.
Even though anyone can see they're always going to happen, and it's always the mugs at the bottom that suffer when it goes wrong.
And it's also obvious surely that you can't have unending growth - even in our ridiculous culture there's a limit to how much crap you can market to people. Plus there's a limit to resources rant rant rant.

It is like the emperor's new clothes, surely??

Revolution or live in a cave.. must pick one.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 22, 2008, 17:24
Absolutely. It's almost become a self-realizing prediction, except that I've known for years that this was coming.

At least as far as the USA goes, and I know that every other economy of the world is connected to it, it's no mystery. You can't throw trillions down the drain on wars and insane tax breaks and not have your chickens come home to roost.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 22, 2008, 17:34
I don't think capitalism is all bad, per se... much of the world now has come to accept it, even previously communist nations.

The problem with capitalism is when transparency is sabotaged and the playing field rendered too uneven. Monopolies consolidating control over markets breeds corruption and exploitation.

It can't be argued that most individuals on the planet want a fair price for their labor, a fair deal for their contributions. Capitalism is usually thought of on a major scale, but personal capitalism is really just the idea that one can do a little better by working harder or finding ways to make one's efforts pay off more effectively.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jan 22, 2008, 18:33
I heard on the radio that its been brought about by "emotional investors"
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 22, 2008, 22:54
laresident wrote:
I heard on the radio that its been brought about by "emotional investors"

translation: The people who've got all their spare cash tied up in the stock market.

The deep-pocketed, major investors don't sell unless they're scuttling their own company, hah hah.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2008, 16:38
Jan 23, 2008, 16:37
Monbiot wrote:
Unpleasant as it will be, it is hard to see what except an accidental recession could prevent economic growth from blowing us through Canaan and into the desert on the other side.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index