Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Jul 02, 2007, 20:31
Yon Silver Ring Thing
Jul 02, 2007, 20:28
You may have seen the recent story about the girl suing her school over human right to wear a 'silver ring'. I've found some interesting stuff blogged about this

The more one examines the background to this case, the more one has to wonder whether what’s really being sought in the High Court is not legal support for the rights of individual teenagers to wear chastity rings in schools, but legal support for the efforts of an Evangelical Christian group to turn schools into recruiting offices for their particular US-import brand of god regardless of the wishes of schools, their governing bodies or the parents of other children.

He then goes on to highlight that there's some serious nutters involved in this.

The law will give homosexual couples the same property and inheritance rights as married heterosexual couples. But what of unmarried heterosexual couples? Is the government saying now that they have to get married to be afforded the same rights as homosexual couples? What about those who don’t feel it appropriate or necessary to get married, but who are still committed to one another?
Denise Pfeiffer

If you don't bother reading any of this, at least do yourself a favour and check out the Youtube clip in the second post. Ah, YES, there is no god(s)!
Lupus
Lupus
641 posts

Re: Yon Silver Ring Thing
Jul 03, 2007, 10:38
What an entangled web they weave!

A very interesting story. Thank The Lawd (or the other bloke) for "naughty inquisitive bloggers".
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 03, 2007, 11:18
Chastity rings as something mentioned in the bible. oh yes that's right. Not quite the same thing as crucifixes, headscarfs, and kirpan knives really.

My colleague's wife, who is a born again Christian "Hmm no I don't really consider the pope Christian".
how can you argue with people like that.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Edited Jul 03, 2007, 12:32
Jul 03, 2007, 12:31
Thanks for the links aqk

The more one examines the background to this case, the more one has to wonder whether what’s really being sought in the High Court is not legal support for the rights of individual teenagers to wear chastity rings in schools, but legal support for the efforts of an Evangelical Christian group to turn schools into recruiting offices for their particular US-import brand of god regardless of the wishes of schools, their governing bodies or the parents of other children.

I recently found a speech from someone in the anti-abortion Association of Presbyterian Churches who is part of the, ahem, 'abortion advice' organisation Crisis Pregnancy Centre. She explained she also gets to go into schools to talk to kids and 'give them correct information and encourage them to abstain from sexual relationships outside of marriage'.

http://bristlingbadger.blogspot.com/2007/06/thou-shalt-deceive-vulnerable.html

Under the banner of anti-abortion nutter this would be highly questionable. But under the banner of sexual health professional it's deceitful and despicable.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Jul 03, 2007, 13:20
Jul 03, 2007, 13:15
There was a good Penn & Teller's Bullshit! about this.

I remember there being a story about there being an actual rise in STDs as a result of this kinda thinking. Basically kids were going for anal and oral sex so not using any protection. Can't source this, mind you. But, it stuck in my mind because some wag commented on how it was crap they they never had abstinence when he was at school.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jul 04, 2007, 22:42
The Silver Ring Thing is EVIL!

It encourages young people to feel GUILTY about their sexuality and their developing sexual feelings. It encourages young people to be FEARFUL of their sexual feelings. It encourages young people to take unnecessary risks when experimenting with sex. It encourages young people to be IGNORANT of sex and sexual health. No wonder the rate of STIs in the US has sky-rocketed and the teen pregnancy rate is as high as it ever was!

We should be teaching our young people that sex is good, sex is normal, sex is fucking marvellous BUT you have to know how to do it safely. You have to learn how to negotiate sex, how to say no, how to say yes, how to protect yourself from pregnancy and disease and how to talk about sex.

Worst of all Silver Ring Thing is a bloody lie masquerading as morality perpetrated by theists who want to deny young people the joy of finding out about their sexuality.

Silver Ring Thing people should fuck right off. You might have guessed that it makes me very cross indeed.

J
x
NyghtOwl
NyghtOwl
119 posts

Edited Jul 04, 2007, 23:26
Jul 04, 2007, 23:26
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
You may have seen the recent story about the girl suing her school over human right to wear a 'silver ring'. I've found some interesting stuff blogged about this

He then goes on to highlight that there's some serious nutters involved in this.

The law will give homosexual couples the same property and inheritance rights as married heterosexual couples. But what of unmarried heterosexual couples? Is the government saying now that they have to get married to be afforded the same rights as homosexual couples? What about those who don’t feel it appropriate or necessary to get married, but who are still committed to one another?
Denise Pfeiffer

If you don't bother reading any of this, at least do yourself a favour and check out the Youtube clip in the second post. Ah, YES, there is no god(s)!

I am with you there, 110%.
This was a classic *15 minutes of fame* affair
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jul 16, 2007, 13:45
A bit of good news for a change - good sense and secularism wins out!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6900512.stm
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jul 16, 2007, 16:05
Shame they gave that diseased cow a stay of execution, though.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jul 17, 2007, 07:58
Yeah, I though so too. Some real religious inconsistencies going on, which I blogged about here:
http://www.janetomlinson.com/journal/index.php?id=344
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index