WHERE ARE THE BEES? PART 2

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bernie the bolt
bernie the bolt
189 posts

WHERE ARE THE BEES? PART 2
Jun 25, 2007, 00:16
...and no wasps either. I don't know anyone who would give a rat's chuff for wasps but it's quite odd they ain't about. Perhaps not as biologically signif as bees, but that isn't my point. Sure the weather is poor but WHERE ARE THE FLYING STINGING THINGS? Or is it just Kidderminster they're boycotting?
mercian
mercian
302 posts

Re: WHERE ARE THE BEES? PART 2
Jun 25, 2007, 05:10
Swept up three dead Bumbler`s off my back yard. Last week..
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Jun 25, 2007, 07:49
bernie the bolt wrote:

...and no wasps either. I don't know anyone who would give a rat's chuff for wasps but it's quite odd they ain't about. ?

Don't wasps come out closer to August? I've seen quite a few bees, some of them pretty huge.
x
bernie the bolt
bernie the bolt
189 posts

Jun 25, 2007, 13:34
shanshee_allures wrote:

Don't wasps come out closer to August? I've seen quite a few bees, some of them pretty huge.
x

August maybe, but I just ain't seen any at all. Perhaps I'd better leave a pint of cider in the garden... that'll bring them.

But the absence of bees does worry me. I suppose we won't need bees when terminator seed technology renders pollination obsolete. Or is it vice versa? Brave new crappy world. Perhaps they need special GM bees for the GM plants. Just a thought.
Phyl Lobius
Phyl Lobius
6 posts

Jun 25, 2007, 16:52
Yeah, haven't seen any bees or wasps yet...but at least some REALLY huge hornets at my window (I am living in the middle of Germany at the edge of the forest, btw).

But also the ladybirds were gone for a couple of years...I really miss them! ;-(
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Jun 25, 2007, 17:17
We had a couple of big bumberlybees around today, thankfully, no sign of the wasps. The bees do seem to be a bit scarce, this wet weather's not helping though. x
bernie the bolt
bernie the bolt
189 posts

Jun 25, 2007, 20:22
Phyl Lobius wrote:
Yeah, haven't seen any bees or wasps yet...but at least some REALLY huge hornets at my window (I am living in the middle of Germany at the edge of the forest, btw).

But also the ladybirds were gone for a couple of years...I really miss them! ;-(

Got ladybirded today. And then a bumblebee too, but he was a bit all over the shop. He may have been waterlogged.
CraigR
CraigR
479 posts

Jun 26, 2007, 11:04
Bees are fully recruited in my garden. I have a nest in my old coal shed. You can watch the fellas fling in and out all day. One goes in, another flys out! If you sweep to close to the door, three are dispatched to patrol and check you out. They don't come too close, or act aggresively, but make sure you keep your distance!

I like em now, after initially being a bit scared! Unfortunatley though, I'm knocking the coal shed down soon, hopefully. I have to call a guy in who will remove the queen and her drones and relocate them somewhere, all for about £30!

As for wasps, they normally keep themselves to themsevles at this time of year I believe. They feed around hedges and such, on larvea and bugs and that until late summer when they need sugar, so when they run out of dropped fruit you normally see em hanging around bins, annoying your kids, that sort of thing. Or so I believe anyway...............!
joudicca
joudicca
360 posts

Jun 26, 2007, 11:50
i've got loads of bees in the garden, why don't you plant some of their favorite plants and attract a few?
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Jun 26, 2007, 15:09
joudicca wrote:

i've got loads of bees in the garden, why don't you plant some of their favorite plants and attract a few?

Purple, violet or deep blue flowers it seems. Can't remember where I heard/read that.
x
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index