whatever happened to michael moore?

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Apr 10, 2007, 08:00
whatever happened to michael moore?
Apr 10, 2007, 07:57
He really did like to rile things up, but now he's just off the radar!
I always thought he was a bit opportunist, selective and too presumptious, but patchy as it was I thought Farenheit 9/11 was also revelatory in some ways. But something tells me he was a decent guy, unless anyone knows different.
He at least was a pain the arse for many, and we don't have that at all now.
x
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: whatever happened to michael moore?
Apr 10, 2007, 10:09
He made enough money off 9/11 to retire happily? ;-)

See also: Ann Coulter.

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Hyperbolimia
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Apr 10, 2007, 10:25
Apr 10, 2007, 10:24
HAHA very good! Must check that site out.
I recall Moore squaking 'Yeah, but they haven't caught Saddam yet, have they and they never will'. Oh dear.
He has dropped it all like a hot potato it seems. Probably out of his depth now and of course loaded rich!
He was so personable, and I did recognise how wide off the mark he was alot of the time. He did also become a bit of a pest in the end.
If only the hawks had the brains to accuse him of capitalising (as scummy as that lot are)...but they didn't. Or did they?
x
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 13:12
Michael Moore continues to work on projects, last I heard- The funniest thing about him is the huge backlash from Bush supporters. F9/11 was responded to with multiple examples of right wing retorts... books, videos, etc... The more he pisses off the right wing the more they froth at the mouth. Huzzah!

I love that guy! He provokes thought and debate. We need more of that, even if it does cross the line into manipulation sometimes. He sticks it to the man. More power to him.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 13:33
I cant help thinking of him as a bit of a phony, profiting from war and others misfortune. sorry, i know that won't win my any friends here, but I hate the man.

Book called Michael Moore is a stupid fat man - very funny
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 13:41
pooley wrote:
I cant help thinking of him as a bit of a phony, profiting from war and others misfortune. sorry, i know that won't win my any friends here, but I hate the man.

Book called Michael Moore is a stupid fat man - very funny

???

It's Dick Cheney and the Bush family and the other people who started the war who are profiting from other's misfortunes.

Mike Moore may be making some money but he's putting it where his mouth is and FIGHTING AGAINST these warmongering bastards, exposing them and trying to do the right thing.

Your perception of him is exactly what the rapists of the planet want to see, you realize.

And besides all that, I might also point out that criticizing his weight is a cheap shot that means nothing in the context of his work. It's the same petty crap he gets from his right wing attackers.
dee
1955 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 15:01
Well Said D !!
Five
Five
960 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 16:12
It was my impression that Moore was the victim of a right-wing PR hatchet job so effective that even his allies abandoned him....

Unfortunate
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 16:20
Brilliantly put there, HoD!

Pooley, can you explain why you hate Moore?

I've no doubt he made some money off his movies; why does that make him phoney?

He'd only be a phoney if he didn't mean what he said in those movies and was just doing it to cash in. Are you really suggesting that?

When Moore started making his movies there was no market for that sort of thing. He really opened the door for popular political hard-topic documentaries. I can't remember the last one I saw in the cinema before bowling For Columbine. Now there's always at least one doing the rounds.

I've no doubt, in these more polarised times, something like that would've happened to a degree, but it was Moore that pioneered it. Even if, like most of us, you aren't comfortable with everything he's done, he still deserves respect for what he's normalised, how he's shifted the use of film to talking about things with a voice that dissents.

The 'making money of the suffering of others' thing is nonsense. Can nobody put out a film, movie or book that deals with real issues then? Do you level the same charge at newsreaders, lecturers and journalists?
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Apr 10, 2007, 16:25
Five wrote:
It was my impression that Moore was the victim of a right-wing PR hatchet job so effective that even his allies abandoned him....

Unfortunate

Cornering Charlton Heston in 'Bowling for Columbine" and putting him on the spot was uncomfortable to watch (Heston was visibly suffering from Parkinsons at that point).

I think what most people hate about Michael Moore is his slob-on-the-street look. He's completely unconcerned with what he looks like. And as we all know, this is a mortal sin in todays skin-deep media establishment.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index