destroyed through drugs."

read the whole story at:
http://thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/top_story.html?in_review_id=500613
mk1bomber
88 posts

pigs in space
Feb 19, 2002, 13:26
what a dude.
Almost enough to re-install one's faith in humanity.
Also a valuable reminder that while it's easy and funky to blanket-hate the pigs,back in the real world,it's a dirty job & someone's gotta do it...and sing hosanna, there are good people putting their hands in the fire.
A lot braver & more positive than most.....
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Re: Yard Chief calls for legalisation
Feb 19, 2002, 13:35
>"The concept of Anarchism has always appealed
to me."

only abstractly though, eh? First sign of any of that nonsense actually taking place, and they're straight round, truncheons at dawn and all that ...

what I think he's saying is that he doesn't think the police should be governed - all that tedious "paperwork" (also known as "evidence") ...

The reason for the call for decrim of cannabis? redirect resources for more coppers, not anything to do with personal liberty - drug arrests have actually gone up in Lambeth since the project started ...

hmm

RG
mk1bomber
88 posts

Feb 19, 2002, 13:46
....hmmmm.
coulpa things RG - did you read the article? this is a high ranking,openly gay piggy who is really trying.
maybe I'm being blinded by novelty value,but for those about to rock (the boat) - we salute you....
Also,do civil liberties in Lambeth extend to one's right to walk the walk the streets dressed as one pleases,without the 100% certainty of threats from redneck homeboy mutants?
not in my experience....
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Feb 19, 2002, 14:13
Actually RG, i'm usually one of the more cynical folks when it comes to the police. i believe society needs a police force - sadly, but feel that the majority of people attracted to the job are those with a propensity to abuse the power it grants them.

However, i also firmly believe that there are people who join it for "the right reasons" and who are decent, honest, *good* people. To deny that possibility is to generalise in a rather abhorrent way in my opinion (my parents are good friends with a couple in West Cork who are both local police... and trust me, they are *good* people).

This article was a pleasant surprise to me because i'm frankly amazed that one of those decent ones could ever make it so far up the ladder (jeez - just being openly gay, you'd think, would've prevented the guys promotion!)

i'm not saying we should all dash out and join the force or anything ;-) Just that this one guy genuinely seems to be there for the right reasons. And that's a (very minor) cause for celebration.

Or am i wrong?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Feb 19, 2002, 14:31
It is true, there are good guys that don uniforms and climb the heights.

Although he was in the fire service and not in the police my uncle was Deputy Fire Chief for Berkshire. He was also the highest ranked (and only ranked, I think) officer to come out on strike with the lads in the 1970s. Stopped his career dead.

He is the man that really inspired me through my youth. He taught me that you can do things for others, you can evade the stereotypes no matter what you do.

Unfortunately there are too few people like that.

What chance do we have of more people like that joining the police when we sit around and tell everyone that all pigs are twats? A MoFo ain't gonna join even if they really want to do so. If they feel that they want to become a police officer and do some good all this blanket labelling could well stop them. That way we only get nobs in power.
mk1bomber
88 posts

P.C.P.
Feb 19, 2002, 15:35
FW - right on!

to lapse into black & white,reactionary brush-tarring is to essentially become republican/tory/insular .
(it is, however, often amusing)
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: P.C.P.
Feb 19, 2002, 15:38
absolutely, bush speaks of good versus evil, we against them, civilised vs terrorism
what a callous cheap tactic, appealing to the basic animal instincts of the masses
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Feb 19, 2002, 18:39
Five or so years ago, a close friend of mine worked for the cops in the evidence department, although he wasn't actually acoip himself. He says the sargeant there was an ex-army major who eventually bullied him to the point where he ehad to leave the job in order to avoid having a mental breakdown. I have read at least two reports in the press of similar things happening to other people

This, I guess, is why the Police Force often attracts people who have the propensity to abuse their power. The decent folk who do apply for the job may eventually find themselves having their decency eroded by the authoritarian atmosphere in their workplace.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Feb 19, 2002, 18:39
Sorry - that should have read "he wasn't actually a cop himself".
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index