Register
U-Know! Forum »
192.com

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

192.com
Dec 30, 2006, 17:51
Like many people I've spoken to about this, I saw an advert for 192 whilst drying my hands in a motorway service station on my christmas travels.
You can have 10 free searches a day. You may be surprised to see how easy it is to find out where you (or anyone else) has lived in the last few years, including who you were living with and what your phone number is. The information comes from the electoral rolls, which I realise is public information. It's just that previously you would have had to trawl through reams of paper in the public library and now it's a mere click away.
If you're creepily stalking someone you'll be able to find where they live in no time.
I was rather freaked out by it actually, in my naivete.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: 192.com
Dec 31, 2006, 00:10
Bloody hell! I didn't even know that existed! If that's the case it's little wonder we still get so many nuisance calls even though we're ex-directory, have a block on the line for BT against cold-calling companies and have a bank account with one of the only banks that supposedly doesn't forward personal information to third parties. It is a mystery, however, that the nuisance calls are usually for the people that lived in the house before us - if such information is so freely available it's a wonder these people haven't sussed that the previous occupants moved about two years ago! My suspicion is that they're still giving our phone number out to anyone that asks for it, but that's a topic for an entirely different rant. I too find it a bit freaky that people are so easy to trace like that - I'll take this opportunity to declare that I have no money, don't want a loan or a mobile phone, don't need uPVC double glazing and have no wish to change my electricity supplier at this point. In the unlikely event, however, that Julian Barratt is stalking me then yes - that IS my name, address and telephone number and I'm free on weekdays between half nine in the mornings and half two in the afternoons! ;-)
jshell
333 posts

Dec 31, 2006, 21:51
Been using this for years, but & it's a big BUT - you have to pay for the really useful information. That 10 free search thing is a bit of a con.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jan 03, 2007, 05:44
It had nothing on me even though I have bank accounts and all sorts.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jan 03, 2007, 13:48
I wouldn't worry - it's all in the public domain, but you can opt out of being listed when you do your return if yr worried.
I've found it really useful for family research type stuff. There used to be a glitch in the system which meant you could get for free the stuff you should pay for, but they've closed that loophole - that really pisses me off coz I reckon this kind of info belongs to us all (but it is free if look in the old fashioned way).
U-Know! Forum Index