U-Know! Forum »
whinging bastards

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

whinging bastards
Nov 09, 2001, 09:41
Football players do not get enough money from televised matches. Let's all send them a couple of quid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/english/football/newsid_1645000/1645557.stm
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: whinging bastards
Nov 09, 2001, 12:34
AFAIK it's not quite what you think, they're not just striking to buy David Beckham a proper haircut, the money that they will raise will also be distributed by the PFA to players in the lower leagues if this is a continuation of the dispute they where in a while back.

Then again, as I loathe "soccer" a TV strike can only be a good thing for me!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 09, 2001, 13:22
The whole thing sucks. The bottom line is that sport simply generates too much money for too few people. We are long past the stage where a footballer can retire and perhaps buy a pub with the proceeds from his testimonial.

Now the buggers buy breweries while they are still playing! And then follow up with a small carribean island if they wish.

Madness ... total madness.
Zeppo
26 posts

Nov 09, 2001, 14:39
Much as I agree that the top footballers and clubs make way way too much money, that's not the point of the proposed strike. As cancer boy says, it's to do with the amount of money the PFA get from the TV deals and that they think their portion is not rising in line with the increased TV revenue. Part of the purpose of the PFA's funding is to support those footballers who do not earn the vast sums of money e.g lower league players who get injured and need finacial support because they have no other means of income and haven't built up the nice nest-egg or, in other cases, for you footballers who are trying to make it then fail, say again through serious injury, who need some help to get them back into the education system so that they can get a job.

Zep
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 09, 2001, 15:41
If it is resumption of those issues then that is fair enough ..... Perhaps all the *big* stars should donate wodges of dosh out of their over inflated salaries as well.
U-Know! Forum Index