Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

"The devil is having a good day"
Jan 12, 2006, 14:40
From Scott Adams' Dilbert Blog:

According to MSNBC, about 50 people died in Saudi Arabia during the annual ritual of throwing stones at the devil. Apparently a stampede broke out when somebody tripped on luggage. That sounds like a poorly conceived punch line, but it actually happened. And it isn’t the first time. In 1990, 1,426 people died in a stampede while throwing stones at the very same devil. (No word as to whether luggage was involved.) And in 2004, the devil killed another 244 stone-throwers the same way. By my count, the score is Devil 1,720 and Believers 0.

This is on the same day that the guy who shot John Paul II was freed. Clearly, the devil is having a good day.

I think it’s interesting that when you pray to God for a new bike, it hardly ever materializes in your bedroom within seconds. But when you throw stones at the devil, quite often you get an immediate response. That’s an example of good customer service.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: "The devil is having a good day"
Jan 12, 2006, 15:52
Seeing how obnoxoiusly self-righteous both fundamentalist muslims AND X-tians are, methinks what goes around comes around...
jason lives
jason lives
177 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 15:56
I think anyne that has a deep belief has the ability to be revolting and blinkered about it. Whether they be daily mail reader, new labour apologists, animal welfare terrorists, christians, muslims, stamp collectors, cope fans or whatever.
Is only people that disagree with the basic viewpoint that see the horrible character traits. Take CBB for instance......
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 16:13
Unfortunately self righteousness is not limited to those two groups, and there are those withing those groups who arent remotely self righteous. The most self righteous group of people I've ever met are Satanists, closeley followed by the many sub sects of New Age Pagans (who I've found to be the most intolerant frankly)

Sorry, I'm only messing, self righteousness is in the mind of the outside observer after all.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 16:15
Yeah, but YOU WOULD say that.
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 16:16
Actually, I don't find anything surprising in the following equation.

Large group of people in a religious fervor + Space too small to accomodate them = Death.

Shit happens, as Christ and Mohammed would say.
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 16:18
but of course cos I'm a full on righteous and justified Gnostic Christian. MUHAHAHA!!! you unbelievers are like, just so, you know, dumb and stuff ;D
Lugia
970 posts

Jan 12, 2006, 22:57
Hmp...nothing exciting like that happened when I did a pilgrimage of sorts to Kyoto. Wonderful service, beautiful chanting, and then afterwards a really excellent Japanese-style breakfast. But no stampedes or such. Nah...this Pure Land Buddhism stuff just isn't on in the thrill-ride department.

Of course, if I DID want that sort of thing, there's always what goes on at some Shinto matsuri. Riding giant tree-trunk logs down suicidally-angled slopes, carrying around huge portable shrines, etc. But then, that's more of a party kind of thing...the gods get to have fun, rather than pitching gravel at some 3rd-rate demon. Each to their own, I suppose...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 13, 2006, 02:00
Yeah, I've tended to be self-righteous myself. Although as I get older I get wiser. Or I learn to laugh more and don't get torn up about it as much. I haven't even been 'terrorising' U-Know as much anymore...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 13, 2006, 02:05
Reminds me of this place called "Suicide Hill" -- some steep hill with a tree in the middle which some kids were stupid enough to toboggan on dares. I've heard of serious injuries resulting from that...
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index