Sorry dear it's your own fault

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Sorry dear it's your own fault
Nov 21, 2005, 10:10
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4453820.stm
Well there was I thinking we lived in the 21st century and ridiculous chauvinism like this was a thing of the past.

"A third of people believe a woman is partially or completely responsible for being raped if she has behaved flirtatiously, a survey suggests.
The Amnesty International poll of 1,000 people also found over 25% believe she is at least partly to blame if she has worn revealing clothing or been drunk."

Perhaps it was the way the question was phrased? I mean you could argue that there are things you can do that reduce your chances of being raped (eg don't collapse drunk in a dark alleyway at 2am) and that people should perhaps try to be sensible in avoiding dangerous situations - but that doesn't in any way remove the blame from the rapist onto the victim does it.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Sorry dear it's your own fault
Nov 21, 2005, 11:36
Couldn't agree more, Rhiannon!

It's disgusting that so many people can still think its a woman's fault if she gets raped. Would it be my fault, then, if I was robbed because I was carrying a wallet?

"The number of recorded rapes of women in 2004/5 was 12,867 - up 4% on the year before - although police estimate that just 15% of rapes come to their attention. Only 6% of reported rapes result in a conviction."

It's mayhem here at work at the mo as we have a film crew from Central News South coming to interview my colleague Antonia who has been asked to respond to this issue for the evening bulletin. Film crew expected in 45 minutes. God, I love working for a women's organisation.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 21, 2005, 12:13
>> although police estimate that just 15% of rapes come to their attention.
>> Only 6% of reported rapes result in a conviction.

I hate it when people split the figure up like that. What the above <i>really</i> means is that only 0.9% of rapists are convicted!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Nov 21, 2005, 12:42
That seems even more shocking (the low % of convictions) when most rapists are known to their victims, they're not random strangers in the street. (The news mentioned the percentage this morning but alas I have forgotten it).
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Nov 21, 2005, 15:32
Male castration wouldn't necessarily stop rape. It might provide a deterrent to some and may offer 'justice' to some victims of rape. However, multiple studies of rape have demonstrated that while it's physical execution is clearly a an intimate sexual act, the reason for the rapist carrying out the attack is frequently nothing to do with desiring intimte sexual contact. Control and revenge are much more common factors.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Can I have my ball back please?
Nov 21, 2005, 16:33
Plus, there is the issue of miscarriages of justice...
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Nov 21, 2005, 20:04
>>means is that only 0.9% of rapists are convicted!

It certainly does not. That would suggest that all accused rapists were guilty. In which case why bother with a trial?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 21, 2005, 20:39
Oh sorry. Yeah. Sometimes no means yes doesn't it.

The statement was that possibly only 15% of rapes come to the attention of the police. I presume they discount the cases that come to their attention and are found to be false accusations. If this is the case then my statement that only 0.9% of rapists get convicted is true.

If does count the false accuasations (and I really can not see why it would do so) then how many reports do you think are bogus? 10%? 5%? 50%? 100%? Let's be generous and assume it's 50%. So in fact scaling it up and assuming that the number of rapes that happen is the same then only 30% of rapes are reported.

This still means that only 1.8% of rapists are convicted!
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Nov 21, 2005, 22:39
i don't think 50% is that generous, when it happened to someone i know, the first thing the police said was "your not making this up are you", they obviously think the percentage is somewhat higher, insensative pigs.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 21, 2005, 23:02
" the first thing the police said was "your not making this up are you", ... ", insensative pigs."

Comic genius :-)

Joking apart some obviously do think like that, but what individual coppers think probably isn't reflected in the stats they release. The people that release these figures know they have a problem and wouldn't exagerate it. (IMO etc)
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index