Take that, Tony...

12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Re: Take that, Tony...
Nov 09, 2005, 18:03
I don't know why I'm responding, hongnam, as I'm sure you and I will never agree on anything other than that the Cope chap has written a decent tune in the past. However...

The freedoms that British citizens enjoy and about which so many in government & the media have crowed about for so long, have been steadily eroded since 1979. There's been no slow down since 1997 and a return to internment (which is what this is no matter what the spin doctors say) would be one of the worst examples of that erosion.

Look what the Birmingham 6 and the Guildford 4 admitted to in a far shorter time. I have no idea what I would admit to after 90 days and I hope that I'm never in the position to find out. We hope that the tactics used by governments of other countries (including the US in Guantanamo Bay) would not be used on suspects in UK custody, but we've already accepted using evidence obtained by torture elsewhere. Using..er...'robust' interrogation measures over a prolonged period (e.g.90 days) would only be a small step on from that. The extension to 28 days that has been passed by pariliament is hardly anything we should be proud of.

These laws are part of the anti-terrorism measures being adopted and will be seen by many people as a response to acts of violence from fundamentalist muslim groups, but could clearly they could be applied to anyone suspected of an offence (stand up Walter Wolfgang).

It's also a worrying development because if laws like this can be accepted, what would come next?

U-Know! Forum Index