http://thegreatwhiteshaft.blogspot.com

Shafty
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Re: Merrick....
Nov 05, 2005, 10:24
"Published by EG Music"

There, Merrick's assumption was correct. Oh what a surprise.
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Nov 05, 2005, 11:42
You won't see it this way but ... what Merrick made was an educated guess. Knowing anything about Eno would lead anyone to that conclusion. Yeah Merrick could have gone and double-checked that point but so could have you. In fact, wouldn't it have been better to have come back going 'Oy Merrick, you're wrong, Eno sold all his publishing & recording rights to Company X'. But no, you couldn't be bothered to look it up, happy to just play the coveted & lazy role of devil's advocate. Well done. What a stirring discussion you have provoked.
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Nov 05, 2005, 15:40
Guess what - worst possible outcome!

I don't actually agree with a lot of what Merrick says in that article! Heck, am I going to have to ban myself, or is this just another case of you totally and utterly missing the point?!
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Nov 05, 2005, 16:13
" i should be more responsible for the accuracy of the article than Merrick.?"

It is not a question of accuracy. The article is accurate.

If it stated a falsehood or assumption as fact it would be inaccurate. It does neither, to my knowledge.

"You found the information very quickly, why couldn't he?"

The publisher is indeed EG Music, which Eno set up. However, I have no idea if Eno still holds ownership. As you rightly point out, the Beatles don't own Northern Songs.

Thing is, publishing rights only apply to using cover versions. To use the original version you usually need more, the rights to the original sound recording and commonly - depending on the contrat the artist had - the permission of the artist.

Given how those also stack up as being solely Eno's responsibility in the past and the unlikelihood that someone has seen that catalogue and thought it wanted buying up as a money-spinner, it is a fair assumption the original rights still still hold.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Nov 05, 2005, 17:23
>If you have nothing other than more insults and snide comments to add,
>i suggest you let this discussion end, as it had before you created a row.

Physician, heal thyself.
IronMan
IronMan
601 posts

Re: Lemon....
Nov 05, 2005, 17:32
> Did you get a badge when you joined the Merrick fan club, PMT?

4th November, 17:17

Well, I'd say that was pretty insulting. One of Lemon's old nicknames for PMM too, if I remember rightly.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Nov 05, 2005, 19:51
Well I tend to see sneeriness in some people's writings even if it's not there as well...
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Nov 06, 2005, 11:34
Lemon also had a bee in his bonnet about PMM (and Grufty Jim) agreeing with me on things, too. Their doing so wasn't out of anything moral or ideological but, if I remember rightly, mere 'hero worship'.

Lemon also had the habit of taking an argument and turning it into a reptitive heated exchange about his opponent's integrity based on one small side issue, refusing to deal with responses to his specific points that contravened it.

Interesting, that.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Nov 06, 2005, 11:44
You're SO right :o)

*swoon
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index