Just Another 100

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Just Another 100
Sep 14, 2005, 16:55
100 people died in suicide attacks in Baghdad this morning.

I know we've done this to death on U-Know over the last few years and Saddam Hussein was a murderous dictator, but...
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: Just Another 100
Sep 14, 2005, 18:13
....But people knew where they were under a dictator and had a certain degree of (albeit fucked up) security. If you're governed by a murderous dictator you tend not to fuck about and one thing you do 'enjoy' as a nation is law and order. OK so the laws aren't fair - are ours under our so-called democracy?

Now Iraq has descended into civil war - call me naive and overly-simplistic but surely the general population were a tad safer under Saddam Hussein. Yes he was a c**t but then so is Mugabe and I don't see the Americans being in any hurry to depose him and intervene while he forces people off their farms and starves half his people to death. I don't see them freeing Tibet, either - could go on but probably shouldn't - daughter's dinner to get ready and all that.

Quite agree with you anyway, hence this rambling response. Murderous dictator yes, but at least when he killed people he didn't leave their bodies to rot in the street.
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Sep 14, 2005, 18:14
The bombers are no interested in democracy, have no decency when killing innocent people.

I have sympathy with "Freedom Fighters", but not people who kill innocent civilians. People who plant and detonate bombs are cowards even when they target the armed forces. If they had any courage and decency they would stand up and fight thier "oppressors" face-to-face wouldn't they.

Like the para-militaries, on both sides, in Ireland they want people to succumb to thier beliefs.
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Sep 14, 2005, 18:16
but at least when he killed people he didn't leave their bodies to rot in the street.

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I'm dead I won't give a fuck where my body is left, but I don't want to fucking die in the first place and if I have to die at the hands of terrorist scum I'd like the opportunity to put up a fight
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Sep 14, 2005, 18:19
<but at least when he killed people he didn't leave their bodies to rot in the street>

That must be a comfort to them!!

The situation before was appalling, Saddam Hussain murdered tens of thousands of people. The US led occupation of Iraq has created it's own set of problems and was unjustifiable on the basis of either WMD or preserving oil availability BUT, the next likely step if and when western forces pull out is a full on 3-way civil war.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Sep 14, 2005, 19:46
It wasn't a nice place to live under Saddam, It's certainly not a nice place to live now, but Jesus H. Christ, it's going to be as close as we'll ever see to a hell on earth when left their own devices without a proper governing influence. What a mess.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Sep 14, 2005, 21:38
The bodies in the street comment was a poor taste reference to the way USA dealt with the dead in New Orleans - irrelevant to the situation in Iraq I know, but something else that's made me really angry with George Bush of late.

In my opinion, what's going on at the moment in Iraq is civil war - it's no longer safe for the average citizen to leave their homes and go to work. I don't know exact figures but it seems to me more civilians have been killed in the aftermath of Saddam's deposition than during the war itself. The USA etc have a great deal to answer for - ok they got rid of a dictator, good job done, but you can't just chuck out a dictator without putting a viable alternative in his place, and it seems to me nobody's thought about what to do instead of Saddam.

Did the USA really think they could handle Iraq and that the Iraqi people would all welcome them with open arms?
Naive, to say the least.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Sep 14, 2005, 22:22
Make that 150 dead and 200+ injured.

It seems that the civil war is now official.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Sep 14, 2005, 23:05
I shudder to think what the overall total must be by now. Vileness.

>I know we've done this to death on U-Know over the last few years

Has it been pointed out that British Imperialism has a portion of the blame?

I'll assume it has, but just wanted to point it out again in case the US gets landed with all the blame for putting their oil greed before everything else.

I wonder if the area will get to settle down and have a bit of peace when the oil runs out?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 15, 2005, 07:08
>> but you can't just chuck out a dictator without putting a viable alternative in his place,

This is where the US are out of practice. When they've overthrown a dictator in the past they've always put another 'pet' dictator into power.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index