U-Know! Forum »
August Druidion

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
duckbreath
254 posts

August Druidion
Aug 10, 2005, 15:48
The details of his beliefs may be different - but Julian's style is all fire and brimstone and stupid extremism...can you imagine being in a room when he's telling everyone how to think and actually dissenting from him - he'd run you out of town...how pompous is it to give a monthly "address" anyway? - he's a monotheistic deity, jealous of all the others, always taking the piss out of bono, Bob Geldof, nick cave etc- "thou shalt have no other second-rate, pompous, male rock role models but me" ...

His views on religion are stupid - What does this sentence mean? "Those who choose to insult and murder and create mayhem on behalf of their own deities ... can take a motherfucking hike across the Channel… and that includes all monotheists."

All monotheists insult, murder and create mayhem? What is he talking about? For a lot of (monotheistic) people their religious beliefs represent themselves in community focused activities where church-owned buildings are used for nursery schools, homeless soup kitchens, 5-a-side football, alcoholics anonymous meetings and so on - sociologists show how people who go to church are more likely to be active members of their society - being politically active, active in charities, local issues etc on the basis of the evidence - generally speaking monotheistic religions are good for society and we'd be better off with more of them not less

Violent extremism is associated with all forms of human society - not just monotheistic ones and I'd like to know what the Cerne Abbas giant represents if not a kind of 'get off my land' sentiment expressed by people in the same mind set as most of the current territorial conflicts - Julian's religion is easy because he doesn't have to engage with the beliefs and behaviour of his neolithic heroes
Wiggy
1696 posts

Re: August Druidion
Aug 10, 2005, 17:05
You are Ian McCulloch, and I claim my ten pounds!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Aug 10, 2005, 17:51
"generally speaking monotheistic religions are good for society and we'd be better off with more of them not less."

I really really disagree with you there. The 'mine is the one and only true God' mentality which is demanded of followers of monotheistic religions is historically and today a source of immense suffering and conflict. And even more of them would just create more excuses for distrust, bigotry and wars.

And as for Julian giving a monthly address: He can do what the hell he wants: It's his own website. Are all people who create weblogs and the like egotists and monomaniacs? I don't think Julian really regards himself as a total cult, as you seem to be suggesting.
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Aug 10, 2005, 18:06
ha ha ha! Best larf ive had in ages! (apart from last night that is).

NNN
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Aug 10, 2005, 18:39
"Those who choose to insult and murder and create mayhem on behalf of their own deities ... can take a motherfucking hike across the Channel… and that includes all monotheists."

Maybe just me, but I took that to mean, in short:

"if you want to live here and plot to murder people and cause mayhem, then fuck off over the channel. And I mean *both* Christian/Muslim/Whoever would-be murderers.

No way did it strike me that Mr Cope was saying all monotheists can go abroad please. I think it was an oversight to only state Monotheism tho. people plot to murder and create mayhem for any number of reasons, political, personal and religious.

But yes, he is a strident pompadour :-)
Lawrence
9547 posts

duckbreath
Aug 10, 2005, 19:23
The most apt post-name ever.

Now fuck off!
architeuthis
architeuthis
93 posts

Aug 10, 2005, 19:45
Um, you obviously haven't followed a single thing that Julian has done in the past 15 years or you would know that this has pretty much been his way of thinking for ages. If you want to go on thinking that patriarchal monotheism in general is a good thing, well, be my guest.
TheBear
TheBear
981 posts

Aug 11, 2005, 06:47
Re: The Cerne Abbas Giant. It's a 17th Century piece of satire taking the piss out of Oliver Cromwell.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Aug 11, 2005, 07:18
i always thought it was a stoneage internet dating page
Mad Mike of Cerne Abbas
Green Eyes
Own Club
Large Cock
Call Cerne Abbas 09080706 for days of fun and nights of pleasure
TheBear
TheBear
981 posts

Aug 11, 2005, 07:19
Ha ha! :)

Hmmm... wonder what the bloke who drew the Uffungton White Horse was into.....?
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index