Not talking rubbish

11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

adopt some policies from Europe
Aug 30, 2001, 14:17
Germany actually sets a great example for litter and watse packaging.

Firstly, every house has three or four bins for different types of watse. Metal, glass, biodegradable, other stuff. Also all public litter bins are similarly split. Rubbish can only be left out for collection in marked bags. These bags have to be bought from specific shops and cost nearly £5 each. This encourages people to waste less.

Secondly, you can return all packaging to the manufacturer (via the shop it was purchased from) for them to dispose of. This actively encourages the manufacturers to use less packaging. For instance, if you go and buy a six pack of yoghurts in a box you can just give the box back to the shop keeper at the checkout. He can then return it to the manufacturer.

They still maintain a deposit system. Bottled water is bought in glass bottles in wooden crates (as is beer etc.) and all have a deposit upon them.

Here in Ireland it is even harder than in the UK. Packaging isn't quite the same problem yet (but I fear it is heading that way), but recycling is. My new neighbours look at me as if I'm green and covered in scales when I load the car up with bottles and cans and paper.

So, what do you do? shop at local 'village shops'. Use your local butcher, baker and such. They do not use two layer of cling wrap, a plastic tray and a box. All this packaging has come about because of competition on the supermarket shelf. I recommend everyone collect all the over packaging and return it to the supermarket and dump it in the entrance. One big mass organised dump.

U-Know! Forum Index