cancer boy
977 posts

Re: Not talking rubbish
Aug 29, 2001, 09:54
>I myself have begun to even to take
>litter home with me that i have found
>on my travels in our beautiful
>countryside...

I couldn't agree more, although a lot of it is not recyclable and ends up in the aforementioned landfills, better there than littered around on the ground I suppose. Where I live there is a PGL camp so you can imagine the amount of crap that is strewn around in the woods. People look at me like I'm disturbed for thinking that bluebell woods aren't improved by having 200 Bacardi Breezer bottles in them.

It was a real shock to move back to this country after living in Australia in the 90's, where very house has a dedicated recycling bin (for all those pizza boxes and empty tinnies!) to Britain where you're supposed to drive miles with a boot full of stinking refuse for the privilige.

I think recycling is only part of the answer though, as it takes so much energy and produces it's own waste, my two obsessions are:

Overpackaging - anyone been to a supermarket recently? No doubt food tastes better when it's wrapped in PVC and pumped with nitrogen and water. Not that you have any choice, of course.

Re-use rather than recycling - if the teenage tossers over the road could get 5p back on their empty alco-pops they wouldn't be as inclined to fling them into the trees. Unfortunately a lot of bottles aren't suitable for this these days due to the fancy coatings and so on e.g. all the ones with opaque plastic coatings (overpackaging again - agh!).

Anyway, keep it up, although it's not much fun being that mythical "someone else who's going to clear it up" especially if you're doing it for free.

U-Know! Forum Index