Asylum

19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

priorities
Aug 24, 2001, 17:32
to paraphrase... "wouldn't it be great if we lived in a society where schools had all the books they needed and the military had to hold bake-sales to raise the cash to buy guns."

the sad truth is that charities, such as the one Nat works for, exist for no other reason than the fact that we (as a society) have got our priorities completely wrong.

if every person in the country had enough to eat, a roof above their head (assuming they choose that), access to education, medical treatment and a basic standard of living that didn't make them feel like second class citizens, then i suppose i would grudgingly accept that the government could spend some of the remainder on fast planes and the like (i'd actually prefer the remainder to be invested in alternative energy research, but one can hardly expect our elected representatives to do anything so sensible).

until the day however, that there's not a single person living rough who doesn't want to, every penny spent on the military is an obscenity.

U-Know! Forum Index