Advertising for gentlemen 2

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zastrozzi
Zastrozzi
144 posts

Advertising for gentlemen 2
May 11, 2005, 18:55
(For some reason it got lost first time I tried to post this...)

Latest advert for 'The Real McCoy Classics' crisps:

'Also Sprach Zarathustra' (The 2001 A Space Odyssey music) plays over a slow-motion scene of a woman dropping a cup of tea in shocked astonishment as a man (scruffy and unshaven, needless to say) ACTUALLY PUTS SOME CLOTHES INTO THE WASHING MACHINE AND TURNS IT ON!!!

The caption: 'McCoys Classics: Crisps for Gentlemen'

Harmless fun? Bit of a laugh? No, not really. Imagine the tables turned: an ad featuring a woman ACTUALLY READING A ROADMAP CORRECTLY, or ACTUALLY REWIRING A PLUG BY HERSELF!! Not funny under those circumstances. Not funny under these, either.

I am going to get this bullshit taken off the TV, and anyone who fancies having a kick with me please get involved by emailing [email protected].

Grrrrr.....

Zxi.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Advertising for gentlemen 2
May 11, 2005, 19:12
No! I will write to them and say : "Oi, you are stereotyping scruffy men as people who don't often wash clothes"

;-)

I do so dislike these conundrums.

Being a man, I have to say, the advert described just makes me nod knowingly. I then read your outrage and it makes me think of years of oppressed women, but I don't feel sorry for my fellow scruffy men one jot, somehow. Bah.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

May 11, 2005, 20:35
I liked the "Call In The Professionals" toilet cleaner campaign. Ninjas and SAS types cleaning the toilet. What's the pay off? Balaclava's off, IT'S A BURD! Phew, glad they weren't suggesting successful housework was in the slightest macho ;-)

Of course, morfe, retribution is a dangerous avenue to cycle down. Where do you end? Do we start lynching the surviving members of the Nazi Party?
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

retribution
May 11, 2005, 20:53
"Do we start lynching the surviving members of the Nazi Party?"

Somehow, chortling (in self-deprecating fashion) at scruffy blokes avoiding washing machine duties doesn't quite inspire me to take it any further. I definitely won't demand my own testes on a spit for 'wot we did to women' thru history for instance

So...no! ;-)
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Re: retribution
May 12, 2005, 09:36
No Lemon, you get my vote, World Poverty, Aids, Race Hate, Tyranny, Ethnic Cleansing, Superpowers et al

A silly TV advert doesn't really carry the same importance does it!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 12, 2005, 10:02
I think you'll find the examples you give are quite different.
Men traditionally have not done the washing because it is beneath their contempt, it is women's work. A proper man would not do his own washing for fear of being called a big girl's blouse.

Now as for reading maps (personally I pride myself on being able to read a map) - if women CANT read maps because of a fault in their brain, that's something they have no control over. It's not the same as it being beneath them to do such a thing.

AND another thing
Wiring a plug. This is another thing I can do, yes. Any woman could, but the information about wiring plugs has been willfully withheld from women by men. THis is because Electricity is men's work. It's dangerous. It requires manly tools like a screwdriver. In my parent's house, my mother wouldn't REFUSE to change a plug, she would naturlaly hand it over to my father because it's man's work.

Either you have picked poor examples, or you have no argument and the washing thing touches a raw nerve with you (joke.)

(Anyway I am lazy and my boyfriend always puts the washing on. I always hang it up on the radiators and put it away. How very egalitarian.)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

May 12, 2005, 10:25
Personally, I don't give a fuck about the changed balance of sexism in advertising. They're not looking for my money, therefore not insulting my intelligence.

However, I just find the arguement that it's alright because it'd been the other way around a bit of the start of a slippy slopey thing.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

May 12, 2005, 10:27
>>Men traditionally have not done the washing because it is beneath their contempt

Surely 'traditionally' it weas because they were (rightfully or not) the member of the household that went out to work?
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

May 12, 2005, 11:12
If you meant me, Lemon, then no I don't. Please re-read what I wrote. I you didn't mean me, then -I'm shutting up right pronto.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

May 12, 2005, 11:13
I think you are both right.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index