Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: Genoa
Jul 24, 2001, 00:09
as usual merrick your dead right.
what concerns me is how do you convince what the sun calls "white van man" that the times have to change.prior to the summit the bbc was giving out images of geezers practicing their copper twatting techniques. how do we out properganderise that? the issues are not discussed in the tabloids, yet that is where the vast majority of people gather their opinions from.
the first world is, on the whole, apathetic.
where do we start? we don't seem to be even at the beginning of the beginning.
fitz
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Jul 24, 2001, 09:46
the possibility of genoa - or any of the other similar recent actions -stopping the forward march of global capitalism by themselves was never the point in itself. i always thought that the main achievement of such demos was to INSPIRE people - to show that there are thousands - millions - of people who share our hatred of the effects of capitalism, and to show that we can change something. i mean does anyone think the G8 would have invited ANY african leaders except as an attempt to kid us that they 'do care'. the african aid may be a pisspoor amount, but it is more than would have been given otherwise.
I know of loads of people who have been inspired by seattle/prague/nice/gothenburg/genoa - inspired to do something in their localities, and there workplaces. and this is why (I think) such actions are really important, because it is thru such local actions - where we can actually talk to people on an individual basis, about issues which directly and obviously affect there lives - that we canbring about a change in sun (mirror/mail/guardian) readers views, and from there.........
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Aug 01, 2001, 19:08
Also to quote John Pilger, 'MOST of the violence came from the Italian state who behaved in a semi-fascist way'. And on a positive note, this is one of the 'biggest demonstrations (300,000 people) as well as the most *educated*'

right on

GP
XXX
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index