U-Know! Forum »
Ken Livingstone

17 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Chief Boabab
29 posts

Re: Ken Livingstone
Feb 16, 2005, 10:44
Its a tricky one - cos on the one hand calling someone of jewish descent a nazi - is bound to cause offence, however its not like the guy was wearing head thingy and waving a torah. And i doubt that the conversation was
'i'm jewish'
'you're a nazi'

rather
'i'm from the daily mail'
'i'm persecuted by you guys'
'hey i just write for them'
'well a concentration camp guard was just doing his job too right'

That said the bloke did look pretty jewish... and Ken had probably had run ins with mr finegold previously.

The second issue is a bit hairier - i mean does being jewish preclude someone from acting like a concentration camp guard or even a nazi? I dunno ask a palestinian living behind a wall, dispossessed of their land, excluded economically and periodically shot. To make historical analogies of current events can lead to inaccuracies of depiction - surely it would be more helpful to say that israelis are acting like israelis and start from there.

What i object to in the press is
1) we never get the details of the exchange between Ken and DM journo

and

2) we never get a full run down of daily mails/ evening standards position viz ken

Sadly it seems like the most press, is playing the race card a lot harder than anyone else, which says more for the society we live in rather than the pissed remarks of harried politician to a hack journo.

:0

U-Know! Forum Index