Feb 03, 2005, 03:02
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4230985.stm
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Re: "Smackheads aren't scum" shock!
Feb 03, 2005, 11:17
That's a big can of worms.
Hmmm ... would imagine that it depends very much on the disposition of the individual.
Wonder what Will Self would have to say on this ...
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Brainspotting
Feb 03, 2005, 12:15
Reading the news hurts people.
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: Brainspotting
Feb 03, 2005, 14:09
id does me - why do i keep doing it.

Personally Im tired of yet another soft target - still waiting for the bastards to nail fat cats and greedy tax dodgers

I'll wait forever
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: Brainspotting
Feb 03, 2005, 14:09
id does me - why do i keep doing it.

Personally Im tired of yet another soft target - still waiting for the bastards to nail fat cats and greedy tax dodgers

I'll wait forever
Lawrence
9547 posts

Feb 03, 2005, 15:19
I know that friend of mine who died of a smack overdose ten years ago wasn't scum either. I've been upset about it ever since...
Lugia
970 posts

Feb 03, 2005, 17:00
Well, this would be all well and good if heroin were some sort of prescription grade preparation. But it's not, and one thing I've run into from some people that I know who've done it is that variations in the potency is one of the things that can sneakily escalate your habit. Plus there's also the point of tolerance, and if you're using more for recreational purposes than simply to maintain, this can also push you into an escalating pattern.

It and similar chemicals are much more problematic than, say, cannabis. For example, in the poorer sections of Appalachia, oxycontin has been rampaging through whole communities for years now, and it's gutting them. Previously, weed was the 'big problem', but at that point it was something of a cash crop there and it had nothing of the deleterious community effects as widescale oxy use. When it came onto the scene, recreational users gravitated toward this 'new buzz' and it hooked them...and the slippery slope of addiction was the new route for the vast majority of these people, whereas before there'd been no problem of that sort at all. Granted, oxycontin isn't heroin per se, but the usage, potency, and desired effect, along with the type of chemical (semi-synthetic opiate) are pretty much the same.

There simply are things that people cannot handle. The sad thing is that they wind up drifting toward them because there's nothing else out there to relieve the crush of life because of the failed 'war on drugs'.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Feb 03, 2005, 17:54
"I know that friend of mine who died of a smack overdose...wasn't scum either"

Neither was Joe. I still miss him.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Feb 03, 2005, 18:03
Just bothers me how people have such a sneering attitude towards addicts, as though they're not human. Frankly I'm very-much against heroin, although I think people should be educated about it at least...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Feb 03, 2005, 18:07
I know speed seems to currently be the drug of choice for the working poor, from what I've seen/heard...
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index