...oil...

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

...oil...
Sep 28, 2004, 13:50
I know I risk sounding like a broken record here, but there have been a couple of things in the news lately that I thought worth sharing.

Firstly, the price of crude has broken through $50/barrel. Even the mainstream media seem to be starting to take this issue seriously.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3695820.stm

The other thing that caught my attention was a revision of world demand. Upwards of course. The International Energy Agency reckon it's at 82.2 million barrels/day, 750,000 more than previously estimated.

"Demand growth this year is running at its fastest level in 24 years, the Paris-based organisation said."

They predict that demand will be up to 84 Mbarrels/day next year.

To put this into some kind of context, demand as recently as 1996 was around 72 Mbarrels/day. Demand has risen by around 15% in only 8 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3554462.stm

As far as supply goes, page 12 of this PDF document...

http://library.iea.org/dbtw-wpd/Textbase/nppdf/free/2004/keyworld2004.pdf

indicates a supply of around 3500 Mt

I don't know how to convert Mt into Mbarrels/day. I suppose you have to know how much a barrel weighs...
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: ...oil...
Sep 28, 2004, 15:41
I can't find the article, but I was reading about a 'car' the americans have invented which is even less fuel efficient than the hummer, at 7mpg. So I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 15:48
You can just see the pitch:

"But, it's LESS!! How can that not be more efficient"
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 15:48
You can just see the pitch:

"But, it's LESS!! How can that not be more efficient"
Lugia
970 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 17:52
Yeah, it's made by a firm that makes tractor-trailer rigs (lorries and containers to those on the other side of the pond) and is, in fact, nothing more than a big-rig cab converted into a godmongous pickup truck. Retails at $65K base sticker, more with options.

Who's buying them? The urban bling-bling types. Just the people who need a monstrous off-road vehicle with an insatiable thirst for fuel that's twice the size of a regular car and about 1/4th as safe to the occupants of said regular car should one of these monstrosities hit it.

The inability of the USA to do anything about alternative fuels and conservation is one thing. The complete INSANITY of the USA in allowing some firm to actually market these damaging, destructive, wasteful pieces of future scrap is unconscionable!!!
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

On the other hand...
Sep 28, 2004, 20:34
Wouldn't you rather have one of these?

http://www.commutercars.com/
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: On the other hand...
Sep 28, 2004, 22:50
I remember seeing someone drive one of those around town a few years ago...
PlateOfFood
PlateOfFood
141 posts

Sep 29, 2004, 09:02
You don't need to apologise for bringing the subject up, PMM.

Lets face it, the amount that its being discussed now is nothing compared to how much we're going to be hearing about it in a few years time.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Sep 29, 2004, 11:31
In it's present form, this is a rich man's toy, and will make no serious impact upon the way we live our lives. But this particular vehicle addresses several envioronmental concerns. Firstly, it's emission-free. Secondly, since it ultimately draws power from the national energy grid, it means that it can run on renewable energy from wind, solar and hydro-electric power. Thirdly, despite being a performance vehicle (leaves porsches in it's wake) it uses less energy per mile than a 56 mpg Honda. Fourthly, the issue of traffic volume is tackled, because this car can park parralel to the kerb, and takes up only a quarter of the road space of a conventional car.

I don't want to sound like a petrol head, or a spokesperson for CommuterCars. inc, but aren't the design ideas useful? A version that wasn't designed to go like greased lightning would be even more energy efficient.
Lugia
970 posts

Sep 29, 2004, 17:34
Actually, there are some things like this that are starting to turn up over here in the USA. There's a firm out of Indianapolis that does a 'car conversion' sort of deal with certain motorcycles; I've seen a couple of these on the freeways up in Chicago, and they hold their own in that sort of traffic very nicely.

The Tango 100 is quite interesting, indeed. The range, like most electrics, limits this to mainly urban use, but the speed/maneuverability/acceleration issues appear to be adequately handled by the design, and the $18k pricetag is in line with various new midsizes, 'luxury' compacts, and hybrids such as the Toyota Prius. You could 'freeway' this safely if the performance stats are accurate. And it looks quite snazzy. I could see these selling. The other models are too pricey, though...the usual stigma of electric cars.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index