"An it harm none, do what you will"

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

"An it harm none, do what you will"
Sep 01, 2004, 00:12
http://www.strecorsoc.org/world.html

historical essay of British (mainly) class struggle down the ages, and of the quakers in particular...

Apparently they got their name because they were denounced as cowards.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Quakers ..
Sep 01, 2004, 18:33
I was always taught it was because they 'trembled in the face of God'. Possibly their angle on where it came from though?
laresident
laresident
861 posts

quaking
Sep 02, 2004, 22:47
I went to a Quaker school. In retrospect, they were a very mellow and admirable bunch. Its not so much a religion but system of principles to live by.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: quaking
Sep 03, 2004, 08:27
When I worked in Birmingham (UK) the street outside our office was all Pay and Display, but the Quaker meeting house at the end of the road used to leave the gates to its car park open so people could park for free.

As a lad of thirteen or so I decided to investigate this religion thing that so many people were into. I visited all sorts of temples, churches, meeting houses etc and read everything I could. One of the most humbling experiences I have ever had was at a Quaker meeting.

If it was law to be a Christian I think I'd be with them (I don't drink so I'd be OK there :-)
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Sep 03, 2004, 21:20
They do seem like a nice lot the quakers. I went out with a lass whose family were quakers. They (the quakers in general, not the family) seemed to make a bit of a deal regarding the benefits of city folk getting out into the countryside. They used to let folk stay for free in their meeting house on the North York moors, Osmotherly, very chilled it was.

I'm glad to be reminded about the quakers, I've been a bit down on organised religion recently.
Zos
389 posts

Sep 04, 2004, 18:44
You don't have to be Christian, from the Quaker FAQ:

"Quakerism started in England in the 1650s so there’s no doubt that Quakerism is rooted in Christianity and many Quakers centre their faith on Jesus. On the other hand, some Quakers find that traditional religious language doesn’t describe their inner experiences, and they look both within Christianity and within other faiths and philosophies. The Society appears very different from any other Christian group, without the usual priests or creeds and with a distinctive worship based on silence."
http://www.quaker.org.uk/faqs.html

I've known a couple of pagan and Wiccan quakers...

P
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 04, 2004, 18:46
Sounds kool. What I knew about Quakers was mostly from history class and that Nixon was supposedly one(!) (Or most likely from a Quaker family...)
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Sep 04, 2004, 20:48
Aside from being strict pacifists, they are very tolerant. Running a school with kids out on strike and encouraged to question authority must have been pretty difficult. A shcool myth was handed down, how in the early 70s, the head got his bottle of milk spiked with acid. He stayed at home that day but came back the next completely together as if nothing had happened.
Zos
389 posts

Sep 04, 2004, 20:52
I've been meaning to visit a Quaker meeting for some years. Friends of the family are Quakers as are several of my closest friends (indeed, one used to be the warden of the local Friends Meeting House). This thread has made think it over... Thank you! :o)
U-Know! Forum Index