Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

I make war on this!
Aug 23, 2004, 10:27
http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=978132004

If this is true, (I can hardly believe my eyes) then it is the most contemptible article I've seen in a long time.

In short:

Woman gets raped. In order to reclaim her 'standing' in Muslim society, she must marry her rapist. He then gets bail for 'pledging to take care of her'.

Tell me it's not true *argh*.

So now you can rape a woman and then get out of jail free if you promise to spend the rest of your life, er, 'taking care' of her.

Surely doesn't take a genius to figure how this *insert expletive*would treat a wife, especially one he's already courted using the unsubtle medium of physical/sexual abuse.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: I make war on this!
Aug 23, 2004, 13:59
Sounds pretty sick.
Lugia
970 posts

Aug 23, 2004, 16:52
Well, more correctly, this is something also within Indian society, where the authorities claim that no such thing as suttee (having one's still-living wife cremated with her husband when he dies) exists anymore, whereas there's more than ample news items to indicate that it's still going on. So you have this and the whole sharia issue on top of it, which gives you a serious human rights double whammy.

I'm sorry...but while there's plenty of people whinging about 'respecting others' cultures' and all of this, there ARE lines that are being crossed as far as general human rights go when it comes to certain 'cultural' aspects such as this.
joudicaa
joudicaa
325 posts

Aug 23, 2004, 20:51
what kind of womens rights workers do they have in india, and anyway, she should be grateful she wasn't stoned to death for letting herself get raped in the first place... truly flabbergasted!!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 23, 2004, 21:01
Makes me glad I live in America!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Aug 24, 2004, 10:37
Lawrence! Someone's sending messages in under your name!
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Aug 24, 2004, 11:43
Irregardless of the bizarre marrige 'solution', I'm incredibly unclear on why anyone should be shunned for being the victim of a violent sexual crime in the first place.

What sort of twisted internal logic is that then? I mean, I can't see your average muslim lass is going to be open to the kind of tosh that gets bandied about over here, such as 'she was asking for it, she was flashing her tits'.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Aug 24, 2004, 12:21
"What sort of twisted internal logic is that then?"

http://www.paktribune.com/news/index.php?id=61451

It's just men giving men the power to abuse women, surely?

I can't begin to understand the mentality that defends abuse just because 'attacking' it is treasonous to Islam.

If you follow that link above, the following comments are telling.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

I mean:
Aug 24, 2004, 12:23
"Even a bit of disrespect to Islam is intolerable and this is rightfully incorporated in the laws of our country."
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

the logic (sic)
Aug 24, 2004, 12:34
I found this quote, Hob, may answer your question (hypothetically for I have no proof)

"The woman functions as a symbol of the site of weakness and vulnerability inside any male, who can be drawn into his own mortality through desire. The Muslim woman functions doubly as such a symbol. In this way, a fantasy is created that her annihilation will lead to safety and invulnerability The paranoid anxiety that keeps telling every man that he is not safe and invulnerable feeds the desire to extinguish her "

http://www.countercurrents.org/guj-nussbaum290704.htm
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index