U-Know! Forum »
Can't think of a title, but do read...

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Can't think of a title, but do read...
Jul 01, 2004, 16:40
On the one hand, evidence that progress has been made. On the other, there's still work to do.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040701/325/ex3dx.html
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Can't think of a title, but do read...
Jul 02, 2004, 12:59
It was a rather unwise and intolerant letter/email to write. It made me think though, about if you go to a restaurant or a shop (other places that are offering a service to members of the public) - can they not say, that they can opt to refuse to serve you without giving a reason?
Does this mean that he could have said 'no' without elaborating and no fuss could have ensued?
I know usually such an opt out would be reserved for ousting annoying drunk people (I realise this is not the same situation as refusing to rent a room to people because you don't like their personal sexual /religious/ etc inclinations)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Can't think of a title, but do read.
Jul 02, 2004, 13:21
>>he could have said 'no' without elaborating and no fuss could have ensued?

Yup. The fuss was not the refusal of a double bed, but the language he used.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 02, 2004, 13:39
I've stayed in a few bizarre bed and breakfast places in my time. They are - won't you agree - rife with the kind of people who draft great lists of do's and don'ts. So you could be asked to curb personal habits of all sorts - about taking your shoes off, times you're allowed in your room, applying to watch the tv in the lounge plus much sillier things that I'm sure you can think up. I suppose there's a sliding scale of how much control you should be able to have over 'what goes on under my roof' though
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jul 02, 2004, 15:29
It wasn't so much that he didn't want certain acts committed under his roof. He just didn't want dirty queers coming to stay in his guest house, and correctly assumed that using such language would keep them away.
torpedo
95 posts

Jul 09, 2004, 15:10
Fancy a dirty weekend in the Scottish highlands LL? If the worst came to the worst we could always push the beds together! Ha Ha Ha!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jul 09, 2004, 16:00
Hahahah! Why not, eh?
I hope you're a screamer! I howl like a coyote! let's bring his house down!
Hahahah!
Wahay!
U-Know! Forum Index