U-Know! Forum »
another american beheaded.

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Quexalcote
228 posts

Re: Motives / Altruism
Jun 28, 2004, 23:54
And why's that? Because I refuse to go along with the intellectually and morally bankrupt party line that Bush = Saddam? Because I'm trying to get to the bottom of why so many people have such a problem with the overthrow of a fascist dictator, no matter who it is doing the overthrowing? Or because I think that it's patently ridiculous to attempt to put the leadership of the US and Iraq on equal ground morally?

This is reminding me of the hypocritical hippies who'd say "think for yourself" when what they really meant was think what we want you to think, which as often as not was a simple minded refutation of the popular culture.

Sorry, but 2 + 2 = 4 , even if George Bush is saying it.

(although I have a feeling he'd have to think about that for a while)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 23:57
Because Bush is SCUM!
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: another american beheaded.
Jun 29, 2004, 00:00
I know what you mean!

I'd love to see Bush & co do something so collossally stupid that even an ill-informed American public couldn't possibly vote them back in, and yes, I'm happy to admit that I'm looking for reasons and arguments to diss the current administration. I suspect their motives even when they do something ostensibly humane, yet motive is important. What are the long term goals?

To me, the goals are the continuation of the status quo. So in a sense, as someone that wishes to abolish the status quo, anything they do must per se be wrong :o)
Quexalcote
228 posts

What the fuck?
Jun 29, 2004, 00:04
I criticize the president every single day, and within this very thread. I think he ought to be criticized for the right reasons. I'm questioning the thinking of being opposed to the removal of a fascist dictator. And I think it's ridiculously selfish to say that you would support the liberation of the people of Iraq from that dictator if it were done by a different president for "the right reasons". Do you really think the US is ever going to have a "righteous" president? Do you know anything about American history or politics? I'm certainly no expert in either, but US presidents have been a mediocre lot for the most part, and their only real job is to ensure American economic stability. That is the motivation for virtually every move from the founding of the country until now. Fortunately we have a founding document full of righteous ideals, which , while never lived up to in full, provide a template for something a whole lot better than most places that I know about.

Any discussion of Doug P is a memory for me, but it would fit in with a soft approach to fascists if you're OK with that antisemitic asshole.
Quexalcote
228 posts

The God Damned Status Quo
Jun 29, 2004, 00:09
I used to have that same feeling regarding the status quo, but I've come to the conclusion that there are some babies in that bathwater that shouldn't be thrown out. And being against something for its own sake is very unsatisfying in these times.

See my post about motives/altruism above for my two cents on that. I'm looking for baby steps to something better, 'cos the "revolution" is not coming any time soon.
Quexalcote
228 posts

Jun 29, 2004, 00:13
That clears everything up, thanks.

Time to get back to your Death In June records and polishing your jackboots...........................
Pierre_Glendinning
16 posts

PMM just made the quote of the year
Jun 29, 2004, 03:10
"Don't blame the nation, blame the system." --PMM

for starters, this should be all of our mantras when dealing with the insane policies put out by the systems which are beyond the control on the "nations" of innocent civilians.

inserted into the middle of this list: the closing montage of Bowling For Columbine is a rather scary list of contradictory US funded massacres.

friends tell me that during showings of Farhenheit 9/11, people applauded at every anti-Bush reference, and one guy shouted out "draft the Bush twins!"
Pierre_Glendinning
16 posts

PMM just made the quote of the year
Jun 29, 2004, 03:10
"Don't blame the nation, blame the system." --PMM

for starters, this should be all of our mantras when dealing with the insane policies put out by the systems which are beyond the control on the "nations" of innocent civilians.

inserted into the middle of this list: the closing montage of Bowling For Columbine is a rather scary list of contradictory US funded massacres.

friends tell me that during showings of Farhenheit 9/11, people applauded at every anti-Bush reference, and one guy shouted out "draft the Bush twins!"
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: PMM just made the quote of the year
Jun 29, 2004, 03:32
Yeah that was excellent on both your and PMM's part! Yeah, it's not America that's wrong it's the government. Maybe I should not be so upset about the people who still support Bush anyways -- they're just manipulated into thinking Bush is right. I guess...

"I love my country, it's the government I can't stand!"
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: What the fuck?
Jun 29, 2004, 03:39
Well the kind of people who still support Bush after the army tortures Iraqi prisoners. Seems like they're the kind who would support Hitler in Nazi Germany, and after the Final Solution and Hitler's war crimes were made public they'd STILL support Hitler. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what it looks like.

And if you agree w/ how the US military treated Iraqi prisoners you are really sick! Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly publicly supported these crimes -- they probably get their rocks-off on those prison torture photos.

I'm tired so before I go to bed I'll polish my jack-boots... (Heh-heh...)
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index