U-Know! Forum »
Don't you bother your pretty little head

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Don't you bother your pretty little head
Mar 30, 2004, 15:27
For those of you that are not aware of the fact, there is an all out strike at the moment in Scotland. It involves Nursery Nurses.

Jack McConnell (First Minister) said the following:
'While women were mainly being affected by the dispute, as mothers or as nursery nurses, a small number of intransigent men were to blame, Mr McConnell added.

"These people are being affected by a small number of guys, frankly, at the top of the trade union and the top of the local authorities who are not even talking to each other. It is a ridiculous situation," he said. '
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3582797.stm

I'd like him to have tried saying that to any of the sisters I've talked to on picket lines.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Don't you bother your pretty little head
Mar 30, 2004, 19:05
I trained as a nursery nurse when was younger. You had to study for two full time years to get your NNEB qualification, to get a job paying shite.

I was welcomed onto the course by a tutor who hoped that more men would become nursery nurses, because she saw that as a way of improving the pay and conditions.

This is absolutely a gender issue. I can train for one year to become a driving instructor (amongst many other professions) and take home £20,000+/year, yet in this "womans job" I need to train for much longer to get only around 60% of that.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Mar 30, 2004, 22:01
contrary to the BBC story, they are asking for a starting wage of £14,000 (the scoundrels)
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Mar 30, 2004, 22:10
That's only part of the story. Saw this on the BBC site this morning...

"British workers are giving away the equivalent of £23bn of free work every year through unpaid overtime, according to research from the TUC.
More than five million workers do unpaid overtime work beyond their contracted hours, the body said.

Top of the list are senior civil servants, teachers, farm managers and health professionals such as doctors."

Teachers aren't the only ones that put in a lot of hours outside the 9-3.30 in preperation etc.

They do have it worse than nursery nurses, but they get paid twice as much.
cammyb
62 posts

Apr 04, 2004, 17:13
Excellent letter in our local blat in which the mother of a primary school teacher declared, more or less, that nursery nurses were thickos who just spent their time playing daft games with kids. The bile was frightening.
U-Know! Forum Index