19 Chinese Cockle Pickers

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

19 Chinese Cockle Pickers
Feb 09, 2004, 00:08
Irrespective of that sounding like rugby song
(you have no idea how very sorry I am about that - but I have been thinking it.)

Does anyone else think the emphasis on "we'll find the bastards sending them out there" is a bit disingenuous?
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Re: 19 Chinese Cockle Pickers
Feb 09, 2004, 01:51
From the daily express, yes.

http://www.express.co.uk/story.html?story=5&r=107629148021260389
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Feb 09, 2004, 10:29
I find the whole thing shocking. Having walked across Morcambe Bay twice (in the company of the official guide). I know what a ridiculously dangerous place it is. Basically sending someone who doesn't know what they're doing out there is kinda like asking them to dive for pearls in shark infested waters with a fresh steak tied round their neck. Terrible.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 09, 2004, 11:22
Indeed. very scary. In fact, I'm sure that Morecombe has been trading as a seaside town as a joke. I've never seen the sea any time I've been there.

i just think that there's gonna be a big "we got the bastards" hoo-ha while behind the scenes those that survived or have been picked up in Liverpool will be 'sent back' to face whatever they were fleeing and who bankrolled their journey here.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

far too little too late, but....
Feb 09, 2004, 14:05
By a horrible coincidence, at my union meeting last thursday we discussed a campaign to license 'gangmasters', there's an 'Early Day Motion' being introduced to that end. It's not a lot, or anything like enough to stop repeats of such murders, but its worth supporting.
http://www.tgwu.org.uk/Templates/System/Other.asp?NodeID=90431
U-Know! Forum Index