Kilroy Silk reveals his true colours

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Kilroy Silk reveals his true colours
Jan 12, 2004, 09:22
They also gave us Three Wise Men! Which is three more than the west seems to have managed so far!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 09:41
they were talking about it on radio 4 this morning, and finding loads of people that think Kilroy is jolly good for speaking his mind. 'We don't really have freedom of speech in this country', 'Political correctness gone mad' etc etc. I had a similar conversation with a (maddening) friend on saturday. Even without accepting that such comments are ridiculous racist generalisations, why can't people accept that saying unpleasant things about other people just isn't very charitable? You wouldn't tell your girlfriend her bum looked huge in that dress, even if it was true. You certainly wouldn't print it in a newspaper without expecting her to be completely outraged. Kilroy seems to be surprised that anyone's making a fuss. Last night on Trevor Macdonald's programme he seemed genuinely confused about why anyone was complaining about him. Obviously just a thick git.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 11:48
Nothing gets my goat like someone saying 'PC gone mad'. They are objecting to the fact that they can't be as boorish, insulting and ignorant as they feel it is their right to be.
Usually the sort of men who think it's perfectly alright to say 'coon', and slap women's arses in the office.
It's nicer to refer to people, or groups of people, in a way that isn't offensive to them. Why object to that?
Here's to political correctness, I say!

x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Paintball
Jan 13, 2004, 12:49
Mowuf, just cuz youwve eskept frum the Midlunds yow shuddunt tek the piss outuv them as is still ere. It ay roight me ducks. An oi bet Fower Winds aye too playsed noither, thow he's anuther wots slunk off on the ollyead train.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

OK ... this is for all of you ...
Jan 13, 2004, 12:54
If he had only talked about 'regimes' and not concentrated on cultures what would your view be?

I certainly spend a lot of time slagging off the US gov't, its behaviour and its policies ... should I stop?
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Re: OK ... this is for all of you ...
Jan 13, 2004, 13:29
No, of course not. If he'd talked about specific regimes that would be different. 'What has the House of Saud ever done for us' is not equivalent to 'what have arabs ever done for us'.
You've never said anything that would make the Americans that use this board feel intimidated, or at least like they're going to meet someone who hates Americans before they've opened their mouths.
That's exactly what would happen to an Arab who appeared on Kilroy.

x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: OK ... this is for all of you ...
Jan 13, 2004, 14:00
I totally agree.

What RKS said was disgusting and people rationalising the un-rationalisable with 'freedom-of-speech' arguments is utter bollocks. Kinda makes me sick to the core.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 14:34
Frankly I'm just sick of these idiots who think they can throw insults and then hide behind their free-speech rights. Especially those bigoted fascists who call themselves 'conservative' who seem to think the only way they can get their point across is to resort to unfair name calling. Maybe I shouldn't think that way, but sometimes I wonder if freedom of speech was such a good idea. The fact that someone dangerous like Ann Coulter has become extremely popular with ideals that could undermine individuals' freedom if people in power would adapt them.

Of course Nietschie said not to attack monsters lest you become one yourself. Maybe it's better to avoid people like Killjoy and other scum of their ilk. I hardly read opinion pages anymore -- it just makes me ill.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 14:38
Did I spell Neitsche right? His name is hard to spell...
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Freefuckingspeech
Jan 13, 2004, 16:37
Exactly Lawrence. It seems to me that in the States the same people that bang on about free speech are those that would stop anyone criticizing the war against terror, Bush, American foreign policy etc. etc, and whose 'tolerance' for free speech wouldn't stretch as far as gay people. In that sense of the phrase, 'Free Speech' is the last refuse of the hypocrite.

Over here, according to the right-wing press, if you disagree with them you are part of a 'metropolitan cultural elite' determined to suppress freedom of expression. The implication being that nothing you say can be of any value. For fuck's sake.

Welcome to HH - Home of the Metropolitan Cultural Elite!

x
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index