Ken's Back In The Pit!

4 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Ken's Back In The Pit!
Jan 12, 2004, 12:24
I'd go along with that. Ken's done a brilliant job as our mayor and is a shining example of a politician who has the courage to actually DO something. He also proves that real left-wing policies work (something Blair has been desperate to convice everyone is not the case). Blair has had to admit he was wrong about Ken, because he had no option to admit it. The thing that strikes me is that Blair still thought he was right when a huge majority of people in London who voted in the mayoral election knew better and were proved right. The same seems true of the Iraq war, and the British public knowing they were being lied to about those weapons of mass deception.

As far as not voting for Ken now he's back in Labour, well I still support him and will vote for him again. Ken's past record as a labour-party member is certainly not one of someone who bites their tongue and tows the party line. He won't tone down his outspokenness for two simple reasons. Firstly he says what he believes, not what he is told to say, and he has always done so. Secondly, Blair needs him more than Ken needs Blair. Ken would be re-elected even if he stood as an independent again. Blair knows the only way to stop Labour from another humiliating defeat in the election is to have Ken as their candidate. It's Ken calling the shots here. Not Tony.

Labour is not Tony Blair's party, it's the party of all its members. I think it's important that left-wingers stay in the party to be a much-needed thorn in Blair's side and to be the conscience of the party. Left-wingers leaving Labour is exactly what Blair wants.

U-Know! Forum Index