Ken's Back In The Pit!

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Ken's Back In The Pit!
Jan 06, 2004, 16:25
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3370803.stm

And, agreeing to live by New Labour's rules. Bye-bye Tube. Bye-bye schools. Bye-bye integrity. I'm not a Lahndaner, but if I were there's no way I'd vote for him a second time.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Re: Ken's Back In The Pit!
Jan 08, 2004, 16:25
Same here. As someone pointed out in the paper - will all those who contributed to his electioneering on the basis that he was not part of Labour be given refunds? Arse.

x
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jan 08, 2004, 17:41
I voted for him first time round. I'll vote for him this year too.

Of course, because he's the official NuLabor candidate, it does mean i'll leave the polling booth feeling slightly soiled. But i'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face; he's still one of the very few people in modern politics for whom i have even a smidgin of respect.

I don't agree with him on every single issue obviously... but then; i don't agree with my closest friends on every single issue, so i'm not sure how relevant that is. More important is his stance on a handful of - for me -crucial issues.

He has proven himself to have consistently sensible transport policies (the bus service has been considerably improved; the congestion charge is a success; he fought tube privatisation to the best of his abilities and having being beaten in the courts has now dedicated himself to ensuring that it is implemented as safely as possible). We have a recycling collection in our area thanks to him. There are more cycle lanes.

He was a speaker at the various London anti-war demos; he's criticised The Met for exercising anti-terrorist powers against peace protesters; he's decribed Dubya Bush as the greatest threat to life on the planet and held a reception for "Everyone who is not George Bush" during the recent State Visit.

Does anyone honestly believe that he will now keep his mouth shut on these issues? Or that he'll suddenly change his opinions because he's rejoined The Party? I don't. Though of course i could be wrong on that.

I voted for him last time so that the CC would be introduced, because he promised to fight tube privatisation, and because he actually seems to give a damn about London and the concerns of those who live here. I long ago gave up on party politics, so i'm voting for Ken Livingstone, the man - not NuLabor... and as much as i'd like Ken to give up on party politics too, there's nobody else running who i'd trust with the job.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jan 12, 2004, 12:24
I'd go along with that. Ken's done a brilliant job as our mayor and is a shining example of a politician who has the courage to actually DO something. He also proves that real left-wing policies work (something Blair has been desperate to convice everyone is not the case). Blair has had to admit he was wrong about Ken, because he had no option to admit it. The thing that strikes me is that Blair still thought he was right when a huge majority of people in London who voted in the mayoral election knew better and were proved right. The same seems true of the Iraq war, and the British public knowing they were being lied to about those weapons of mass deception.

As far as not voting for Ken now he's back in Labour, well I still support him and will vote for him again. Ken's past record as a labour-party member is certainly not one of someone who bites their tongue and tows the party line. He won't tone down his outspokenness for two simple reasons. Firstly he says what he believes, not what he is told to say, and he has always done so. Secondly, Blair needs him more than Ken needs Blair. Ken would be re-elected even if he stood as an independent again. Blair knows the only way to stop Labour from another humiliating defeat in the election is to have Ken as their candidate. It's Ken calling the shots here. Not Tony.

Labour is not Tony Blair's party, it's the party of all its members. I think it's important that left-wingers stay in the party to be a much-needed thorn in Blair's side and to be the conscience of the party. Left-wingers leaving Labour is exactly what Blair wants.
U-Know! Forum Index