Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Hiroshima Day, Today.
Aug 06, 2003, 11:40
For those in Glasgow:

George Square 6pm,
Hiroshima Day and memorial for all the victims of weapons of mass destruction.

info: scnd at banthebomb.org, Tel: 0141 423 1222
Rhiannon
5291 posts

ground zero
Aug 06, 2003, 12:11
By the way, has this been mentioned before? And please feel free to correct me /argue, I admit I don't know what I'm talking about.

Hiroshima - wasn't the bomb dropped there dropped by the US? And wasn't the place subsequently called 'Ground Zero'. And didn't hundreds of thousands of people die as a result?

So how come the September the 11th bombing has now appropriated the 'Ground Zero' monicker? I'm not saying it was any less dreadful because fewer people died. But isn't it a bit ironic that they should pick that name, when it was America who dropped the bomb on Hiroshima in the first place?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

ground zero and sucking eggs
Aug 06, 2003, 12:26
Atomic Bombs .. what a cute term that is. If we still used that term the world would seem much safer than one with NUKES !!!!

The use of the term "Ground Zero" after 7/11 was a very emotive and very cold piece of propaganda. They automatic association of the 7/11 events with the devastation caused TWICE by the US in Japan was pretty sick.

Of course, it also brought about a dis-association of the term Ground Zero with the US war crimes of the WWII.

Bastards!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: ground zero and sucking eggs
Aug 06, 2003, 12:51
I'm glad you agree. Bunch of cynical miserable self-pitying bastards. Why is the world in such a mess, and how do they get away with it all? Prerogative of being a "Super Power" I guess

isn't the 7/11 where you buy your groceries? Or was that deliberate.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: ground zero and sucking eggs
Aug 06, 2003, 12:54
Does anyone know where there's any discussion of this on the internet? I can't find anything because I can't narrow down the words for searching effectively. Pathetic.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

not discussion
Aug 06, 2003, 12:59
but:
http://www.zenzibar.com/Articles/groundzero.asp
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

7/11 vs 9/11
Aug 06, 2003, 13:22
It's odd isn't it that the one could be said to have lead to the other.

In this instance it was a slip up. I used 7/11 in an ironic fashion once and haven't seemed to be able to get it right since.

I did mean to actually write 9/11 in this instance, but it would appear I failed (again).

<I have read this through twice and all uses of 7/11 & 9/11 are correct> :-)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

thankyou
Aug 06, 2003, 13:31
thank you for finding that aq.

"The U.S. currently stockpiles nearly 10,000 nuclear warheads, some of them with yields greater than 1 megaton – 66 times as powerful as the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Over 10 million people could be killed with just one well-placed bomb of this size! The United States is the only country to have used nuclear weapons in a war."

This really is so terrifying that the only way anyone on this planet can get on with their everyday lives is to totally ignore it. The only thing that was protecting us before (in the cold war) was that noone on either side was actually bonkers enough to use the weapons they were stockpiling. But now?? Let's not think about it. Surely even Mr Bush isn't that cracked. And if he isn't, why is he producing more bombs? The world's mad.
shamanic miner
184 posts

Re: 7/11 vs 9/11
Aug 06, 2003, 15:34
Wasn't it Ali G who first used "7/11" on his "in the US" show? I'm quite surprised they didn't start referring to it as "nine one one".
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: 7/11 vs 9/11
Aug 06, 2003, 16:22
Dunno about Ali G, but I used 7/11 as soon as I first heard 9/11. Not that hard to come up with really is it.

I must say I prefer "nine one one" though :-)
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index