instead of relying on government agencies
which have often failed in the past."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3106559.stm
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Re: My flabber is well and truly ghasted
Jul 29, 2003, 16:52
Julian H Cope... what will they think of next!! Is it any wonder their country is a mess and elects morons... I bet there is a bet you can place for Mickey mouse to be the next President of the USA....

Sigh.... what can you say to that...
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 16:55
What can you say in reponse to that?
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 17:02
HA! and they're buying their information from the Economic Intelligence Unit. Sorry, I know of em, and well, no bank/broker listens to them.

As someone pointed out on slashdot will this go the way of other futures markets. So, certain ppl will trigger car bombs to improve their prices ?

There has never been a truly effective way to predict futures markets. It doesn't matter how much probability mathematicians jump up and down its just not going to happen. Unfortunately, ppl will still believe that it is possible (research grants, venture capital and all that. Are you part of the new faith ? Or are you just a mad cynic screaming to be ridiculed by your peers)

Just you wait till they start predicting peoples personal behaviour based on patterns of consumption, genetic record, employment history and living enviroment.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 17:22
Aha! So this is the American Intelligence we're asked to trust to safeguard the world's future. Don't have nightmares, people.
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Jul 30, 2003, 09:48
Just you wait till they start predicting peoples personal behaviour based on patterns of consumption, genetic record, employment history and living enviroment

Um - they do. It's how marketing works. All those databases dividing us into A, B C D E classes are based on exactly thoser things (except, so far, genetic record)
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Jul 30, 2003, 11:30
No doubt this would have worked in much the same way as spread betting on the tonnage of shipping lost in a year (leading to arson, scuttling etc.).
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jul 30, 2003, 18:14
Not quite. It's a bit more serious than the marketing profiling or 'guessing'. This is an extension of the current dangerous myth doing the rounds, it goes something like 'given enough data we can predict any event'. Which is bollocks, and lets say it again, dangerous. Heh, kinda like that film 'minority report' but without the need for 3 odd telepaths.

Hopefully things like the rat brain cell robot arm artist will help prove its bollocks.
U-Know! Forum Index