Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Mark Steel Sez:
May 15, 2003, 11:57
Seeing as it's not free anymore, and for anyone interested:

There were some clues that he was lying, Clare

Her resignation was made over an issue of principle, the principle being that she was about to sacked

15/05/03

The reaction of many people to Clare Short's resignation must be the same as when a woman leaves a dreadful bloke. She's crying "He never listens to me" and everyone else is thinking: "We told you that all along, you idiot." Then, when she blubbers "He promised he'd involve me in rebuilding Iraq", you almost feel like patting her on the head and saying "We told you he didn't mean it you silly girl".

Now she's managed to have supported a war that was opposed by most of the world but resigned over who gets to rebuild the place after the bombing she backed. It would be like someone leaving the mafia, saying: "It's not fair, you said I could decide who cleared up the rest of the horse."

For the eagle-eyed, there were one or two clues that the promise of UN involvement in post-war Iraq was a fib. Inspector Morse might have said: "Hang on, Lewis, if they want the UN to run the place why the hell have they stopped them having any say in whether there's a war in the first place? And this dossier about Saddam's weapons is a student thesis. And this claim about links with Bin Laden is entirely made up. You know what, Lewis, I'm beginning to wonder whether this all adds up to Blair not entirely telling the truth."

U-Know! Forum Index