Shorty Does the (in)decent thing?
May 12, 2003, 12:55
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3019871.stm
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Shorty Does the (in)decent thing?
May 12, 2003, 13:14
What gets me is that she actually believed Tony's reassurances!

Dopey mare!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

May 12, 2003, 13:22
I just think that when she can see her minister's salary going down the plughole she suddenly rediscovers her priciples.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

May 12, 2003, 14:26
too little too late by a long bloody chalk.

i mean how could she possibly have believed blair? she helped the war take place, fuck her
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

May 12, 2003, 14:57
Errrm,no thanks !

8o)
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

May 12, 2003, 14:57
Me neither!
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

May 13, 2003, 02:40
How the fuck is she getting all this 'so principled blahblah' shite in the corporate media?

She says she was against the war without a second resolution, knowing it was illegal and immoral. Yet she buttoned her lip and helped it on its way.

Her motto should be the Groucho Marx line, 'these are my principles; if you don't like them I have others'.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

May 13, 2003, 10:03
Is it just me, or can Short's stance basically be summed up thus: "I fundamentally disagree with the war. BUT... I'll support it all the same, just so long as the post-war reconstruction is carried out the way i want it to be."

It seems weird to be making a principled stand on this issue *after* the majority of the murdering has been completed.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

George Monbiot's opinion
May 13, 2003, 10:32
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/comment/0,9236,954806,00.html

She was useful to the government because she behaved like someone guided by impulse rather than calculation. ... Her outbursts allowed the control freaks to pretend that they were not control freaks...

Within her own department, where her decisions made a real impact on people's lives, she was more Blairite than Blair. She would emote with the wretched of the earth for the cameras, then crush them quietly with a departmental memo...

She was forced to resign yesterday not because she had rebelled, but because she had destroyed her credibility as a rebel. Having squandered her old Labour credentials, she was of no further use to the New Labour government.

==========================

Brilliant article with Monbiot's trademarks of clear thinking and meticulously researched shocking detail to back it up. Check it out for some horrifying examples of what she did as a Minister.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: George Monbiot's opinion
May 13, 2003, 13:24
i'm far from being a great monbiot fan - far too liberal outraged middle-class arrogance, but that is a shit kicking article, that really, well, kicks a shit
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index