U-Know! Forum »
Just Like Iraq Did In Kuwait?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Just Like Iraq Did In Kuwait?
Apr 10, 2003, 13:59
If I've understood the news correctly, Turkish troops have moved into the Kurdish controlled autonomous region of North Iraq.

The US has asked (!) them to go back and they have refused. Apparently it's their territory.

So I guess that after a period of "diplomacy", the US and its allies will use massive military force to push the Turks back over the border.

Won't they?
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Just Like Iraq Did In Kuwait?
Apr 10, 2003, 14:46
I know whats going to happen after the war. Partition. We're going to have a North and a South Iraq, That'll create some new terrorist groups for the US to worry about.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 10, 2003, 15:05
That's a bloody good theory, if I may say so.

Could happen. The Kurds deserve a homeland just as much as the Jews did after WWII. Actually I could argue that they deserve it more, but then I'd get accused by someone, somewhere of being anti-semetic, so I won't. (I was not talking about anyone on HH by the way).
stray
stray
2057 posts

Apr 10, 2003, 15:18
ooh. I wouldnt go as far as saying the Kurds would get a homeland, the chances of that IMO are zero. No, the partition would be put there to seperate the two main iraqi tribes. And the ones in the south will have the oil and US support, the ones in the north will suffer endless turkish incursions and kurdish counter attacks. That is until either the Russian confederacy or the Chinese republic decide its time to play cold war games again and support the north.

And no, as bad as WWII was I still dont believe the jewish people needed a homeland. Soz. And I'm anti-zionist, not anti-semitic.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 10, 2003, 15:24
just a small point. 40% or Iraqs oil seems to be around Kirkuk in the north. That's why the Turks don't want the Kurds to have it, in case they use the oil to payroll an uprising by the Kurds living in Turkey.

You are right, they won't get a homeland, but they should get one. After all they were actually invaded and conquered and still live in their homeland. But with so much oil up there that isn't going to happen.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Apr 10, 2003, 15:34
Yup agreed they really deserve a homeland. I didnt realise there was that much oil in the north, thought the vast amount was in the south. Well, heh, yep that lowers the chances of a kurdish homeland even more, and increases the chances of turkish invasion if partition happens.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Apr 10, 2003, 15:43
BUT!!! Woohoo, the Kurds have just taken kirkuk. Yea!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Apr 10, 2003, 15:45
Yeah, it will be an east-west partition.

Incidentally, the huge majority of the oil would have been in the south of Iraq if a load of it hadn't been nicked and renamed Kuwait.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 10, 2003, 17:23
It looks as if they aren't going to wait until after the war

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2936887.stm
U-Know! Forum Index