Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: GeoCaching
Jan 23, 2003, 06:54
"While US history isn't as old as British history we still cherish it. "

????? Not as old? There are certainly bits of it that come close. The Native Americans have been around there for quite some time you know.

It seems that in the UK the virtual cache at historic sites or sacred sites (depending upon your point of view) is not necessarily the norm. What we all do here is just that. We get the location and directions to sites and then we go and look at a place. We do tend to go a little further though and look at a sites relationship with landscape features and try to reason why.

It seems as if the GC people in the UK may now tend towards virtual caching at such places and perhaps even through information found on TMA may come up with some very interesting questions to ask. I hope so! TMA is obviously a public resource that has been built up over many years with the intention of allowing like minded people to venture out and to perhaps encourage others who wouldn't normally do so to get out there too. We just don't promise juggling balls at the end of the trail.

Once I found out that it was not letterboxing I withdrew my initial concern and ...erm ... verbosity, but still disagree with the physical cache idea.

As someone said, if a group were to decide that they would see how many beer cans they could hide around the country it would be no different from deliberately leaving anything else, lunch boxes and "buckets" included.

People might not find them, but what about animals? Some animals that play a key part in the balance of nature ar known for their tendencies to chew anything. Is it responsible to leave poisonous plastics around the countryside with no thought for the wildlife.

I will ask again. Who's going to go around and clean up when the 'sport' loses its attraction and becomes next years rubics cube?

Do you have a policy of last one out sweep the floor? I don't think so.

I think we all appreciate your wanting to get out and about in the countryside and see new things, but please, don't leave stuff behind ... not even a lunch box.

Tom
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Churches
Jan 23, 2003, 06:56
I love that amongst all this diatribe you found this entry to answer :-)
Chrism
5 posts

Doggone
Jan 23, 2003, 08:42
He probably had a dog, which somehow had lost it's collar, a kid person picked it up and placedit in a visible position. When walking the same area ( without dog as it had no collar) he saw it oin the tree muttered something like "who thought of putting the bloody thing on a tree I've been checking the floor" picked it off the tree and left.
It doesn't sound like a geocache, unless it's some wierd subset as yet unknown to mainstream cachers!
If it is then we should declare a fatwa for leaving visible caches!
Tree-Hugger
5 posts

Jan 23, 2003, 09:16
>As I have pointed out elsewhere my initial over-reaction was brought about by jumping one step too far and associating you with Letterboxing.<

Just out of interest, what is your particular beef against Letterboxing?

T-H (IANAL - I am not a Letterboxer) :)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 23, 2003, 09:24
Now let me get it straight first that we are talking about the same thing. Burying things for people to find? If not then the rest of this is wasted so please don't read on.

I have seen too many places ruined by people digging for treasure. My *real* beef is with the metal detector crowd .. a complete bunch of idiots with no regard for anything except personal gain .. at ANY cost. Oops .. I digress. Basically anything that potentially involves digging a hole indiscriminatley and not knowing what's below you doesn't get my vote of approval or support and I'll do everything I can to stop it.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Peoples Front of Caching
Jan 23, 2003, 09:28
I was wondering about this ... TimAndJune has been declaring themselves the "UK Admin" of GeoCaching, and expecting McGrail to do something about the more unruly types

so there's factions in the world of Caching? Who appointed T&J to that role then?

All very touchy. They know it's litter. They might be generally nice and harmless people, but we've definitly hit a nerve .... read their bulletin board, there's all kinds of skeletons in the cupboard ...

RG
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Peoples Front of Caching
Jan 23, 2003, 09:30
Apparently Tim & June run there site to make money out of a hobby (sounds familiar!) and so they are obviously going to defend it. I also think they have some valid points and one shouldn't ignore them totally.

Tree huggers of the world unite!
baden
2 posts

Jan 23, 2003, 09:56
Please God tell me they havn't done this ....... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14806
Tim and June
12 posts

Jan 23, 2003, 10:01
NO! NO BURYING IS ALLOWED!

My apologies for shouting, it has been said many times here that it is contrary to the rules to bury a cache or disturb the topsoil in order to do so.

The geocaching community will deal very harshly with a cacher who does so.

End of story

Tim & June
Telepathine
371 posts

Re: Peoples Front of Caching
Jan 23, 2003, 10:02
Reading throught the thread i'm quite surprised by the kneejerk reaction and out and out venom from both sides.
I'm not sure how long the whole Geocaching thing has been going on (indeed, this is the first time i've heard of it) but i've certainly never seen any ammo boxes or buckets near any of the places I've visited over the last few years, so they can't be left in any 'obvious' places (though i guess next time i'm out and about i might have me peepers open to see where the do stick em').
At the end of the day, how's it any worse than people stinking up the planet driving to and from various places of interest, where there seems to be the compulsary car park and overflowing litter bins and random fly tipping.
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index