Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2024, 13:30
Use of Photos
Mar 20, 2024, 11:30
A photo which I had taken of Craig Dorney Hillfort has been used, without permission, by Aberdeen Live and The Times. Is there any course of action to be taken?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Re: Use of Photos
Mar 20, 2024, 21:08
This might help:

https://www.legalchoices.org.uk/your-small-business/i-want-to-protect-my-idea/control-of-your-images-online.

It suggests you contact them and ask to take it down (or credit/pay you in return for your permission to use it).
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Mar 21, 2024, 08:52
thesweetcheat wrote:
This might help:

https://www.legalchoices.org.uk/your-small-business/i-want-to-protect-my-idea/control-of-your-images-online.

It suggests you contact them and ask to take it down (or credit/pay you in return for your permission to use it).

Thanks SC, its just the permission thing that annoys, more annoying, sadly, is what might happen at Craig Dorney and possibly the nearby cairn at Craighead.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Mar 21, 2024, 22:07
Yeah, just basic courtesy that they at least credit the source. Have a word.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Mar 21, 2024, 22:17
At the least, you should have been credited, but to do that they would have had to seek your permission.

The Copyright section of the Help page (https://www.themodernantiquarian.com/help/) says:
Any information or image that you contribute to The Modern Antiquarian remains under your copyright. Neither Head Heritage nor Harper Collins (the publisher of The Modern Antiquarian book) lay claim to any content published on this site. Indeed, Harper Collins have no involvement with this website whatsoever.

That's a clear statement of your copyright so no doubt there. I had a punter use one of my shots uncredited on his FBook page. When I commented on this he deleted the whole post and scurried away. That commercial companies are willing to engage in this is nothing new though, even it is a tad surprising in its brazenness. A stiff letter, or email, is deffo mertied methinks.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Mar 22, 2024, 12:43
GLADMAN wrote:
Yeah, just basic courtesy that they at least credit the source. Have a word.

Will do Mr G, or at least mention the place they took the photo from - The Modern Antiquarian.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Edited Mar 22, 2024, 12:46
Mar 22, 2024, 12:45
Brazen wasn't the word I used at the time :-) I'll email them both let you and the other members of TMA know how I get on.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Mar 22, 2024, 12:49
And now the effin Daily Express has it, ffs.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Mar 22, 2024, 19:59
Mar 22, 2024, 19:57
********!!!! You deserve credit Drew. Go after them. Plenty of great archaeopix on TMA: who’ll be next?
Dark Galloway
1 posts

Mar 26, 2024, 23:51
They should have absolutely asked permission, as there is no doubt you are the copyright holder and it is their responsibility to act with due diligence.

A business once used one of my photos on their website without asking. After lots of attempts to speak to them and offering to leave the matter there if they gave me a credit, I issued a DCMA against them, which took their website down until the image was removed.

Don't let them push you around.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index