Nigel Swift, RIP

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Nigel Swift, RIP
Feb 20, 2024, 12:44
Many of you here will know, or have heard, of Nigel Swift.

Sadly, Nigel passed away very peacefully last night, surrounded by the love and care of his family, following a long illness. His final weeks were full of laughter, surrounded by his family, and his final days at a wonderful hospice passed in tranquility and painlessness.

He was a vociferous participant on the Head Heritage forums, and was largely instrumental in the creation of the Heritage Action group, started back in 2004, and the Heritage Journal weblog which is still running to this day at http://heritageaction.wordpress.com

He will be much missed by his family and friends.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Re: Nigel Swift, RIP
Feb 20, 2024, 13:58
The quintessential tma troublemaker, you'll be missed Nigel. The twenty plus years of your life hammering against heritage theft, unfettered metal detecting, vandals etc etc are testament to your spirit. The humour and passion you did it with came for free. My favourite memory is telling me to be calm when approaching people climbing stones at Avebury in one minute then angrily yelling "oi, you can't climb that" two minutes later. Never shy in coming forward. Rock on mate.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 21, 2024, 07:54
Feb 20, 2024, 17:02
Very sad news.
Fly high Mr. Swift and know that those few who didn't love or like you, always respected you.

tjj aka June
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Feb 20, 2024, 17:35
Nigel was a top bloke indeed, and I was proud to be able to count him as a friend.

He sometimes came to my exhibitions, and always called me "Blossom". He exuded righteous humanity, hated the Tories and loved butterflies.

Knowing he was dying, I wrote him a letter last week to tell him how much we loved him, and thank him for 20 years of friendship.

If you knew him, you were lucky.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Feb 20, 2024, 17:47
Not a clue what to say. Despite not seeing Nigel often in recent years, I'll miss him horribly - even his very occasional out-of-the-blue demands for something (usually a photo) for Heritage Action!

Most of all, I'll miss his dry humour, self-proclaimed 'troublemaker' persona, wit (in its widest sense), intelligence, passion & his caring nature. He was a great friend & just generally a brilliant human being.

My contact with him since both he & I were regulars on TMA has mainly been through his alter-ego on Facebook, and we've more often talked about wildlife -especially lepidoptera (him) & birds (me) than stones. I'm really kicking myself that I never managed to make the detour to see him when I was visiting the Wyre Forest in his neck-of-the-woods over the last few years.

Just knowing he existed made me happy - and will continue to do so.

Good job there's no heaven - he'd only be causing trouble!

Love

Moth
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Feb 20, 2024, 20:44
R.I.P fellow stonehead.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 20, 2024, 22:40
Absolutely gutted.

Obviously we can't live forever, but sometimes you just feel like some people will. Nigel was one of those.

I never had a dull moment in his presence.

I'm pissed off that we didn't do a Megameet last year, but then again there's a strong chance he wouldn't have made it anyway.

Damn, he'll be missed.

G x
dee
1955 posts

Feb 21, 2024, 11:58
Awful news, RIP Nigel
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Feb 22, 2024, 17:32
Ah, what rubbish news. As well as stone-related things I was always in agreement with his views on fox hunting. A sad loss.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Feb 22, 2024, 21:26
Thanks Nigel, for all of it.

We'll keep the red flag flying high.

x
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index