Here is a website we have created -

http://www.burhillfort.co.uk/Default.aspx
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: Burhill Fort
Feb 07, 2021, 19:33
Great stuff, thanks for sharing this.

It would be great to learn anything you know about the fort - I saw the new info board when I revisited a couple of years ago.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Feb 07, 2021, 20:07
Nice one, looks good :-)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2021, 17:13
Feb 08, 2021, 17:13
Hey, nice little website!. Have walked the area loads over the years, but never been to the fort. Will remedy it next time I'm around. Do you know if it's an outlier for Shenbarrow, or unrelated?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Feb 08, 2021, 17:55
There's quite a deep valley between the two (although less drop if you follow the Cotswolds edge) and I don't think there's intervisibility. Doesn't mean they're unrelated of course.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Feb 08, 2021, 21:49
Cheers. Yeah, if you walk that 'circular' section of the Cotswold Way from Broadway to Shenbarrow and back, it's quite tiring in an up and down kinda way (and with a very claggy/clinging mud in the wet). I was just thinking in terms of y'now, neither are large 'settlements'. They are not far from one another, and there's a good possibility that they were built/owned/used by the same extended family/tribe/group or whatever. I think I read that Shenbarrow may have evolved from an earlier Bronze age settlement (as a lot of later forts did).

We were at Kinver Edge yesterday fer a walk, and there is a similar set up there, being two forts/settlements at each end of a long scarp, both with decent natural drop offs at either end. They are only a mile or two away, and again, settlements are not directly intervisible (but both are able to see the farther surrounding settlements/forts which ring the distant hills of the area...Wychbury/ Clee Hill, Oldbury, Wednesbury, Malvern etc...

Anyway, Just got distracted and I've lost my train of thought and forgot what I was trying to say, so I'll quit while I'm ahead :)
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index