'Wisdom of the Ancients' by Neil Oliver

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 20, 2020, 18:31
'Wisdom of the Ancients' by Neil Oliver
Sep 20, 2020, 16:21
A new book by Neil Oliver Wisdom of the Ancients - life lessons from our distant past
I briefly heard him speaking in an interview earlier today, he specifically mentioned the insidious 'cancel culture' prevalent today before talking about his new book. The opening sentence in the Introduction is "I wrote this book in search of answers -and if not answers then in the hope I would find reassurance and reasons for optimism". I've bought it (what are credit cards for after all) - the first chapter is called Earth and first pages about Callanish.

For me, when the News gets too much, will be going back in time.
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2020, 11:09
Re: 'Wisdom of the Ancients' by Neil Oliver
Sep 21, 2020, 10:58
Sounds good. Let us know if you think it's worth a read. I think I've only read his 'A History of Ancient Britain'.

Talking about going back in time - I'm about half way through this one at the moment - it's very good so far

'KINDRED Neanderthal Life, Love, Death and Art' by Rebecca Wragg Sykes
https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Rebecca-Wragg-Sykes/Kindred--Neanderthal-Life-Love-Death-and-Art/21741289
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Sep 21, 2020, 17:39
thelonious wrote:
Sounds good. Let us know if you think it's worth a read. I think I've only read his 'A History of Ancient Britain'.

Talking about going back in time - I'm about half way through this one at the moment - it's very good so far

https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Rebecca-Wragg-Sykes/Kindred--Neanderthal-Life-Love-Death-and-Art/21741289

Thanks Thelonious, haven't come across Rebecca Wragg Sykes before so will look out for that one.
I believe Neil Oliver has fallen from grace because of a throwaway remark he made on Twitter in support of David Starkey so, while looking for a link to post with Oliver's book, did a bit of internet digging. He has indeed been vilified mainly by The Scotsman who give his book a very poor and dismissive review.
https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/books/book-review-wisdom-ancients-neil-oliver-2977085?amp

Personally, since I've parted with £17, I intend to read it with an open mind and hopefully enjoy it. Neil Oliver says in his Introduction "Our world now seems especially bad-tempered. Temperatures are rising. The news is often doom-laden and filled with hopelessness". He is right about that. He may have made a recent ill-judged remark (who am I to judge) but it doesn't seem quite fair that this is allowed to destroy someone's career and credibility.
tomatoman
118 posts

Sep 24, 2020, 14:40
tjj wrote:
thelonious wrote:

Thanks Thelonious, haven't come across Rebecca Wragg Sykes before so will look out for that one.
I believe Neil Oliver has fallen from grace because of a throwaway remark he made on Twitter in support of David Starkey so, while looking for a link to post with Oliver's book, did a bit of internet digging. He has indeed been vilified mainly by The Scotsman who give his book a very poor and dismissive review.
https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/books/book-review-wisdom-ancients-neil-oliver-2977085?amp

Personally, since I've parted with £17, I intend to read it with an open mind and hopefully enjoy it. Neil Oliver says in his Introduction "Our world now seems especially bad-tempered. Temperatures are rising. The news is often doom-laden and filled with hopelessness". He is right about that. He may have made a recent ill-judged remark (who am I to judge) but it doesn't seem quite fair that this is allowed to destroy someone's career and credibility.
tomatoman
118 posts

Sep 24, 2020, 14:43
He is right about that. He may have made a recent ill-judged remark (who am I to judge) but it doesn't seem quite fair that this is allowed to destroy someone's career and credibility.

Sorry about my slip-up! I completely agree with you.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Sep 25, 2020, 09:10
tomatoman wrote:
He is right about that. He may have made a recent ill-judged remark (who am I to judge) but it doesn't seem quite fair that this is allowed to destroy someone's career and credibility.

Sorry about my slip-up! I completely agree with you.

Yeah, I shall be reading it, too. Not sure I would have had the courage if I was so high profile to say what he has said... what has needed to be said in the interests of democracy, the continual fight against vested interests and corruption (one can see those BBC commissions slipping away)... I would like to think I would have - but integrity, and a love for Scotland, is far more important to prosperity. I think Orwell would've applauded him. Perhaps he should move to Shetland....
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Dec 02, 2020, 23:59
Dec 02, 2020, 20:54
I hope no one minds me bumping this up ... I first mentioned this book back in September when I did the rare thing of buying it for myself rather than waiting until about now and dropping 'xmas pressie' hints. I have to say I'm very impressed, its not a book you need to read all at once as it consists of twelve chapters each with three stand-alone essays - looking at the imprints humankind has left behind.

The twelve chapters are: Earth, Family, House, Tenants, Memory, Hunting, Reaching, Heroes, Stories, Echoes, Loss, Sacrifice.

I'm actually only up to Hunting at present as I'm reading other things as well. I do recommend this book - Neil Oliver is unsentimental and immensely knowledgeable.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index