Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Irish ringforts / raths

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Irish ringforts / raths
Jun 07, 2018, 12:50
My selfish itch to add various raths to TMA so I can put fairy folklore on them - that's just wishful thinking that they're prehistoric is it? Although they're round and stoney, they're not old enough, is that right?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Re: Irish ringforts / raths
Jun 07, 2018, 18:11
Some ring forts are Bronze Age, but some are only around 1000 years old. Perhaps the Bronze/Iron Age ones are the folkorey ones?

I think raths are all later but could be wrong.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jun 07, 2018, 18:17
Further very limited investigation suggests that the majority of ringforts are early Medieval (500-1000 ce).
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2018, 23:11
Jun 07, 2018, 18:23
Rhiannon wrote:
My selfish itch to add various raths to TMA so I can put fairy folklore on them - that's just wishful thinking that they're prehistoric is it? Although they're round and stoney, they're not old enough, is that right?

Hello Rhiannon, I wish you had posted this two or three weeks ago. Just spent a great week in County Clare at the end of May and honestly didn't know about these ringforts or raths. Saw Poulnabrone portal tomb the first day on the Burren followed by a ruined court tomb, a fabulous wedge tomb and a sacred well on other days.

If I ever go back I'll be looking for ring forts.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/archaeology/ringforts.htm
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jun 08, 2018, 08:14
I thought as much, thank you. I will just have to show restraint. It's a slippery slope otherwise :)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jun 08, 2018, 08:17
How marvellous, June, I'm glad you had such an interesting time. I was reading your fieldnotes. I am hoping very much to get over to Ireland in the summer, so your post is definitely firming up my idea of getting to that part of the country. I think the Burren combination of Weirdness and all those unusual plants has sold it.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jun 08, 2018, 10:21
The lure's becoming irresistible for me too
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index