Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Bluestones
Mar 30, 2018, 17:36
Apologies;

Well remember to put the title in first! Anyway there is a fascinating article by Mike Parker Pearson on the Sarsen website to be found here.

http://www.sarsen.org/

I know there has always been argument as to how the Bluestones were transported but that is still an unknown. Excavation reveals more at the two quarry sites as to the method, and if you have been to Moel Drygarn you would have just felt the excitement of how these vertical rock formations appeared to our prehistoric ancestors. So, and this is speculation of course by Pearson.....

"An Original Stonehenge in Wales?
So where were the bluestones of Craig Rhos-y-felin and Carn Goedog initially taken? Since monoliths were extracted at different times from the two quarries, it seems likely that they were incorporated either into two monuments or into a two-phase monument, likely to be located in their vicinity, before being dismantled and taken to Salisbury Plain to be erected there in 3000–2755 BC. If this is so, then where and what might this original ‘Stonehenge’ be? Somewhere in the vicinity of these quarries may lie the remains of one or more stone circles that formed the original Stonehenge, just waiting to be found. One of the greatest archaeological discoveries in world archaeology may be just around the corner."
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Re: Bluestones
Mar 31, 2018, 12:59
Cue Juamei and Lidar?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Apr 01, 2018, 09:05
spencer wrote:
Cue Juamei and Lidar?

Not exactly, I love the bleak nothingness of the Presceli hills, there is a lot of archaeology still to be found in the area, a place to sit and dream and not be reduced to an excavation report ;)
tomatoman
118 posts

Apr 01, 2018, 11:28
No........we want ANSWERS, ANSWERS!
CR
29 posts

Apr 01, 2018, 11:44
Not so clear cut;

"It's quite extraordinary, in that its core message is to do with the wonderful "bluestone quarries" at Rhosyfelin and Carn Goedog -- and in that it demonstrates that MPP is in a complete state of denial about the two peer-reviewed articles in 2015 which questioned every scrap of evidence which he now, yet again, lovingly repeats. He does not cite those two articles, and neither does he mention that there is a bit of a dispute going on........."

https://brian-mountainman.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/should-we-laugh-or-cry-mpps-latest.html
moss
moss
2897 posts

Apr 01, 2018, 12:21
CR wrote:
Not so clear cut;

"It's quite extraordinary, in that its core message is to do with the wonderful "bluestone quarries" at Rhosyfelin and Carn Goedog -- and in that it demonstrates that MPP is in a complete state of denial about the two peer-reviewed articles in 2015 which questioned every scrap of evidence which he now, yet again, lovingly repeats. He does not cite those two articles, and neither does he mention that there is a bit of a dispute going on........."

https://brian-mountainman.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/should-we-laugh-or-cry-mpps-latest.html

Yes the counter-argument with vehemence, it has been on TMA before. Whoever you choose to believe, and Brian Johns may be right, I cannot judge.
But fact is a bit like fiction, which Johns also writes about of his beloved Presceli, it depends on what you want to see and how you extrapolate it - so MPP and Johns stand at opposite ends fueled by what?
I know which story I believe;)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2018, 12:21
tomatoman wrote:
No........we want ANSWERS, ANSWERS!

We do...but not ones that change every other year - which seems to be the case with anything to do with Stonehenge!
tomatoman
118 posts

Apr 01, 2018, 18:44
Sorry, S. My comment was meant to be sort of-sarcastic.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 01, 2018, 18:59
tomatoman wrote:
Sorry, S. My comment was meant to be sort of-sarcastic.

That okay - been there, done that myself ;-)
hedgedruid
87 posts

Apr 01, 2018, 21:03
moss wrote:
spencer wrote:
Cue Juamei and Lidar?

Not exactly, I love the bleak nothingness of the Presceli hills, there is a lot of archaeology still to be found in the area, a place to sit and dream and not be reduced to an excavation report ;)

Wouldn't say nothingness , full of life and great vibes , hidden valleys , ancient woodlands , wonderful unspoilt area . Can be a bit bleak on the tops on a wet day lol .
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index