Guardian article: Stonehenge tunnel

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2018, 14:13
Guardian article: Stonehenge tunnel
Mar 27, 2018, 10:29
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/25/stonehenge-tunnel-desecration-prehistoric-traffic-jams

If you would like to express your opposition to the tunnel proposals you can write to Highways England as part of the consultation process which closes on 23 April.
http://stonehengealliance.org.uk/a303-stonehenge-consultation-2018/write-to-highways-england/
CR
29 posts

Re: Guardian article: Stonehenge tunnel
Mar 28, 2018, 09:33
Thanks for posting this!

As I already said, even if the Tunnel 'might work' personally i feel this is not the right time > not under this Planning System, not under this Government, and not when Britain is in the precarious state it is in.

I am not convinced the full spectrum of potential archaeology will be accounted for if it is encountered (especially pre-Neolithic) > that is not acceptable in such an important context.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 28, 2018, 10:09
Let's not forget the short tunnel was an electoral ploy by David Cameron, not a proposal by English Heritage, Historic England or The National Trust. The fact they are now pretending it will ENHANCE the World Heritage Site is to their shame. Oh, and that's despite UNESCO opposing it. Show me a country that defies UNESCO regarding the care of it's World Heritage Site and I'll show you a country that has no better standards than a banana republic.

(I feel better now. This is a very simple issue....)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 28, 2018, 13:19
nigelswift wrote:
Let's not forget the short tunnel was an electoral ploy by David Cameron, not a proposal by English Heritage, Historic England or The National Trust. The fact they are now pretending it will ENHANCE the World Heritage Site is to their shame. Oh, and that's despite UNESCO opposing it. Show me a country that defies UNESCO regarding the care of it's World Heritage Site and I'll show you a country that has no better standards than a banana republic.

(I feel better now. This is a very simple issue....)

It certainly is a simple issue - do nothing!

Oh hold on a minute - that would mean we would see the henge for free while we wait 20 minutes to pass through it. That would never do would it!
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index