Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Avebury
Mar 24, 2018, 19:08
hedgedruid wrote:
we're visiting avebury at easter w/e , heard from a friend a lot of the site is fenced off , can anyone let me know what is happening ?

Many Thanks

Hi again. I went through Avebury today and can update: the NE Quadrant is closed along with the West Kennet Avenue. The SE Quadrant is partially open - the Devil's Chair and adjacent stone are cordoned off along with a section by the Ditch. It still looks quite wet and muddy.
CR
29 posts

Mar 25, 2018, 11:06
I agree with much of your sentiments - and wish it to be otherwise /:

however the facts are that sources of funding are being cut, Sites and Organizations are being forced to required to show income, and things like 'apps' attract private finance.

The National Planning Policy Frame Work, for example, now stipulates that an 'assets' significance be considered (among other things) in terms its ability to generate its own revenue.

Maybe this can be reasonably argued for some sites and buildings > I would argue that Avebury is not one: however who will now pay for protection and proactive works at Avebury?, eg turf and surface protection...and the various other infrastructure to enable visits by XXXX number of people in XXXX years into the future ....?

Properly funded tour guides (eg actual staff on site) would be much much better than any kind of 'visitor app'.

I would like to see public money supporting these Monuments and Public Enjoyment of them > but that funding has/is being pulled away :(

In that context, the refusal to allow internet-upgrades to the Village of Avebury (with virtually zero impacts except an aerial on the church-tower) is vastly Short Sighted by Wiltshire CC..

....that is the same Wiltshire CC who are about to allow the Stonehenge Tunnel, part of what could become one of the most exclusive/expensive 'Heritage Visitor Attractions' in the whole country !!!

:o
CR
29 posts

Mar 25, 2018, 11:27
Howburn Digger wrote:
What exactly do the stones need income for?

Ancestry and traditions are maintained by People, not Stones.

As elsewhere, the long term protection of Places and Stones is most sustainable through Local Custodians who have a positive attitude toward the Heritage.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Mar 25, 2018, 14:05
tjj wrote:
... walk out beyond the stone circle in almost any direction to experience solitude and few, if any, other people.

Exactly, go up on Fyfield Down, or the downs towards Milk Hill/Tan Hill and you'll see very few people and you can find peace and solitude, shared only with kite or kestrel, a group of deer or if you're lucky a hare or two. I've come to view Avebury very much as an end (or less frequently) start point for my visits from/to various points in the landscape rather than a self-contained site to visit in isolation. I think the wider landscape is amazing. The circle is busy, but usually in a cheerful way.

Compared to the horrible soulless and sterile cash cow that Stonehenge has been made into, enclosed behind wire and separated from its landscape by hi-viz wearers and a staggeringly enormous entrance fee, Avebury remains a brilliant treasure to cherish. If that means that at some times of the year parts of the circle need to be closed off to prevent erosion (and it does erode), it's a very, very small price to pay to keep it generally open, free and connected to its wider landscape for everyone who cares to visit.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 25, 2018, 14:29
thesweetcheat wrote:
tjj wrote:
... walk out beyond the stone circle in almost any direction to experience solitude and few, if any, other people.

Exactly, go up on Fyfield Down, or the downs towards Milk Hill/Tan Hill and you'll see very few people and you can find peace and solitude, shared only with kite or kestrel, a group of deer or if you're lucky a hare or two. I've come to view Avebury very much as an end (or less frequently) start point for my visits from/to various points in the landscape rather than a self-contained site to visit in isolation. I think the wider landscape is amazing. The circle is busy, but usually in a cheerful way.

Compared to the horrible soulless and sterile cash cow that Stonehenge has been made into, enclosed behind wire and separated from its landscape by hi-viz wearers and a staggeringly enormous entrance fee, Avebury remains a brilliant treasure to cherish. If that means that at some times of the year parts of the circle need to be closed off to prevent erosion (and it does erode), it's a very, very small price to pay to keep it generally open, free and connected to its wider landscape for everyone who cares to visit.

Absolutely...well said.
hedgedruid
87 posts

Mar 25, 2018, 16:03
tjj wrote:
hedgedruid wrote:
we're visiting avebury at easter w/e , heard from a friend a lot of the site is fenced off , can anyone let me know what is happening ?

Many Thanks

Hi again. I went through Avebury today and can update: the NE Quadrant is closed along with the West Kennet Avenue. The SE Quadrant is partially open - the Devil's Chair and adjacent stone are cordoned off along with a section by the Ditch. It still looks quite wet and muddy.

Thanks for the info may have to alter our plans a bit ,
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index